1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see Huckabee question Romney about the Assault Weapons Ban? Romney stated he would sign. This should be a wake up call for anyone considering him. I kind of like my Bulgarian SLR105 I bet you guys like your AR15s. Will M1 Carbines and Garands be in there too? Romney governed one the of the worse anti-gun states-Mass- in the nation. In the words of Charlton Heston, "FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS."

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Not to defend Romney in particular but Romney governed a state that had a very strongly anti-gun sentiment long before he got there. I'm not sure that how a person would govern an extremely liberal state translates to how they would govern a more balanced country. I also think it wiser to change your position than stick to it when you've become convinced you were wrong on an issue. Only an idiot would do otherwise.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not to defend Romney in particular but Romney governed a state that had a very strongly anti-gun sentiment long before he got there. I'm not sure that how a person would govern an extremely liberal state translates to how they would govern a more balanced country. I also think it wiser to change your position than stick to it when you've become convinced you were wrong on an issue. Only an idiot would do otherwise.
Perhaps, but give me someone who has been unwaivering on 2A always. He could change his mind again! There should be no compromise on this issue.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Perhaps, but give me someone who has been unwaivering on 2A always. He could change his mind again! There should be no compromise on this issue.

Do you have anyone in mind? We seem to be about down to Mitt, John and
Rudy.

Not a lot to choose from for pro 2A folks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm not sure about Mitt Romney, but John McCain shouldn't be trusted concerning The Second Amendment. Look at his record on all things over the last 8 years or so. (These are just a few examples off the top of my head)
#1 McCain-Feingold. Do I need to say any more? If he feels he can regulate speech simply because it is too close to an election, how can we trust him to not ban certain guns for political expediency?
#2 Amnesty for illegal aliens
#3 Agreeing with the liberals more regularly (It seems to me that he wants the media to like him, and the more liberal he gets, the more they like him)

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I should have split my comments into two posts. My brain shifted gears mid post. I wasn't specifically thinking of changing one's mind on the 2A. I was talking about changing one's position in general. But since we're there, I'd agree that there seems to be only three candidates with a shot at the Republican nomination and none of them are strong gun supporters. I thought Huckabee had a real shot but his appeal doesn't seem to be broad enough to win the nomination, no less the general election. I think Rudy is the worst of the big three remaining and, fortunately, he seems to be fading. There were more people holding Ron Paul signs on the street outside the debate yesterday afternoon than all the other candidates put together for what that's worth. He's just a little too close to the end of the bell curve to get serious consideration from most people.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I'm just glad someone had the gonads to bring up 2A.
Yeah me too! It's one of the areas that really separates Huck from the other three. I'm surprised he hasn't harped on it more. Here in Florida, we have 551,000 concealed firearms licensees and they're all of voting age. Iraq and the economy are going to play a more important role in the election though I'm sure.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just to play devils advocate for a min, McCain did vote against the 1994 AWB. But I cant say much about Romney, because Bush said he would sign a AWB into law if it reached his desk.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Not to make anyone mad but even the worst Rep will be better than any Democrat running. If he is still in it and does not run out of money I intend on casting my vote for Huck! Even Rudy is clearly not for the 2nd but in worst case secnerio at least the Rep would remain in control of the White House. We sure as hell dont want the Democrats running everthing!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
i'll probably get jumped on for saying it, but IMO you're better off with a democrat than a fake republican. With a democratic president, the repub's will automatically be on the other side of any gun control bill, and some dem's with pro gun consituents will join in. With a republican introducing antigun legislation, most dem's will automatically sign on, and some republicans will join in for party loyalty. I've seen it in NY. I'll take spitzer over pataki.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Look, I'd like someone unwavering on 2A always too, but we don't have that option anymore. I'm voting Romney. And, WORST CASE, the ban won't affect my 1911.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
i'll probably get jumped on for saying it, but IMO you're better off with a democrat than a fake republican. With a democratic president, the repub's will automatically be on the other side of any gun control bill, and some dem's with pro gun consituents will join in. With a republican introducing antigun legislation, most dem's will automatically sign on, and some republicans will join in for party loyalty. I've seen it in NY. I'll take spitzer over pataki.
As much as I hate to admit it, there is some sophistication in this analysis.

At least Huckabee is Pro 2A.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And Huckabee has his concealed carry. That says a lot to me vs. Romney who recently joined the NRA but owns no firearms. How many items and on how many issues should a candidate be allowed to flip flop? Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Even most dems say they hope Huck is the nominee, because they think they could bury him in the general election.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not to make anyone mad but even the worst Rep will be better than any Democrat running. If he is still in it and does not run out of money I intend on casting my vote for Huck! Even Rudy is clearly not for the 2nd but in worst case secnerio at least the Rep would remain in control of the White House. We sure as hell dont want the Democrats running everthing!
Thank God! Handgun, this is what I've been saying all along!:rock:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even most dems say they hope Huck is the nominee, because they think they could bury him in the general election.
Reverse psychology works everytime. He is very articulate and will do well in the debates. Being from Arkansas, he is familiar with Clintonomics. This guy has the same values that I have. And I will vote my guns.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
The legislation is written by the congress, not the president. The pres can veto it but the congress can over ride that if they have 60% if I remember correctly. McCain is not so anti-gun as to initiate anti-gun legislation anyway IMHO. Romney I wouldn't be as sure.

McCain has to depend on a lot of independents and some anti-Hillary democrats to win some primaries in states where anyone can vote in a primary. McCain didn't get the majority of the registered republican vote in S. Carolina, for instance. He would also depend on independents and dems who didn't like the dem nominee in the general election. I think McCain would prove to be more conservative as a president than he may sound as a candidate. A shift in ideology won't cost you being re-elected if the country is in better shape than when you got there. If the country's not in better shape, you stand a good chance of not being re-elected even if you didn't shift your ideology. This is basically why politicians don't mind lying to get elected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would just like to FINALLY see one of these "Americans" state publically that they will look at the government's own studies to see how effective the pre existing ban was in accomplishing its aims BEFORE they make a decision to limit our rights. :mad:

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I would just like to FINALLY see one of these "Americans" state publically that they will look at the government's own studies to see how effective the pre existing ban was in accomplishing its aims BEFORE they make a decision to limit our rights. :mad:
Why? I would rather have more politicians like Huckabee or Paul that will just flatly say they oppose Gun Control on philisophical grounds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts