1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Loaded SA. Shot 100 rounds of PMC 230 hardball and got 3 ftf's, all on the last round in the mag.

The ammo jams at an angle into the chamber. The rim of the case is below the extractor, but I'm not sure if it's the extractor that's keeping the round from going in. I did check the extractor tension when I disassembled the gun prior to shooting -- it's snug, but didn't feel overly tight.

Also, when chambering the first round in the mag, I feel a slight resistance in feeding. Not the glassy smooth feeding I feel on my properly throated 1911's.

I've read some posts in this forum regarding this issue. If you had this problem, how did you resolve it?

Just shot it more? Adjusted the extractor? Had a gunsmith ramp the barrel?

I appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
its the extractor, loosen it up a touch, i think there is a post in the how to forum, if not its in the gunsmithing section on how to tune an extractor, trust me i thought mine was fine too and i was still getting ftf, little by little ramping rounds by ramping rounds till she was flying smooth, so far its been working like BUTTA!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My SA did the same thing so I took it to a local smith
and he tuned the extractor and rounded the bottom
edge of the hook at three places so as when the cartridge
rim comes up into it there is nothing for it to hang up on.
It has worked perfect since...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just for thoughts, have you tried different mags to see if this helps? Since it's always the last round, a weak mag spring could be stopping the round from setting properly into the chamber. You also might want to take the mag apart and use a little "waterless car wash" on the inside and outside. I use it on my mags and it slickens things up quite a bit and doesn't leave any residue. Many FTFs are due to problems with the mags.

Just a suggestion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts