1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1911 in 9mm with Mec-gar magazines..
The extractor tension appears correct but the last round is not thrown out..It stays in on top of the magazine..
The recoil spring is 10lbs..
This happens with light cast bullet reloads and factory ball..
Can anyone help ????

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I would try another magazine if that's possible. One size does NOT fit all 1911's, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Sometimes the difference is the top round in the magazine is not there to keep the ejecting round up in the extractor.

You might want to see if the extractor turns on the firing pin stop? sometimes this contributes?

you mention 9mm, sometimes these have an unwanted step in the bolt face. When they cut the path that the ejector rides in the slide it should not cut into the bolt face, but often it does. If the brass stays above the step the gun ejects fine, if it falls off the ledge sometimes it will just lay there.

Lastly if you can put an empty case in the barrel and pull the slide back, see where the barrel places the round on the bolt face? this is the spot where you need to check the extractor tension. Often people check up where the case is when it fires, not where it ejects.

Try Shanes trick too, that may tell you something.

geo ><>

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that with an empty magazine the case falls below the extractor and just lays
there on the magazine.
The extractor is not as wide,up and down,as a 45 extractor..Could this and perhaps too much radius on the bottom corner be the reason ?? I will try to find an extractor that has more surface area..Beyond that I am stumped...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys..
Guess I got it straightened out,will find out with a trip to the range..
Seems that there was too much radius on the bottom corner of the extractor and it just couldn't hold the case up with an empty mag..
At least it works when hand cycled..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts