1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 model Springfield loaded that suddenly started failing to eject the last round fired and hammering it into the hood hard enough to put good size "bites" in the case mouth and sometimes jamming the case head into the magazine feed lips.This is with the factory mags and also 47D's.In one instance the rim was jammed into a 47D so hard it took pliers to remove it,and needless to say tied the gun up. While checking the extractor tension I noticed the case head or rim when inserted under the extractor is "wedged" against the side wall of the breechface where it meets the slide rail, and that there is considerable gap between the case head and breech face. If this wedging that I refer to were not taking place the case would fall out of the extractor in every instance.This seems to be especially true using S&B ammo as the rim appears much thinner than other samples I have. How about some rim thickness/diameter measurements there guys? Someone had pictures of this case mouth munching on one of the forums in the last ten days or two weeks but I sure can't find it.HEEEEELP

·
Registered
249 Posts
i have one that is doing that also. this is what i discovered. the extractor wasn't holding the cartridge up "snug" enough to the breech face and with no additional cartridge in the mag (ie, only happens with extraction, ejection of the last spent cartridge)to "hold up" the casing, because of the "loose" extractor, lets the last spent cartridge either drop down and then either trip the slide release crushing the last spent round or the extractor tries to "yank" it back into the magazine. i need small pliers to get this cartridge out of the mag. this was with the factory mags and wilsons. i my case it looked to me like the extractor was too long and therefore extended too far into the breech to effectively hold the casing. otherwise, the gun has never failed to feed or failed to fire.
mcole

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing plus an occasional FTF. After 800 rnds of trying to
tweek that thing I traded it for a Beretta.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i agree, if this isn't solved asap via a different extractor. i will get rid of the gun; i won't have a unreliable gun. this is my first 1911, for a gun that has been around for some 90 years, they seem to have a lot of gremlins. if i have to dump this thing, i'm going to a glock 21.
mcole

·
Registered
249 Posts
j. farley: what model beretta did your acquire and what did it cost? in .45? what about the ruger's in .45? thanks for the info.
mcole

·
Registered
29 Posts
mcole
I traded it for a 92FS 9mm in stainless steel. I still have a Kimber. I have not had time to test it. I know rugers are good guns but they are to bulky for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
j. farley, thanks,
mcole

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same problem with my stainless Champion - replaced the extractor with a stainless Wilson Bullet Proof extractor (adjusted per the included directions) and have not had the problem again after 250 rounds thru the gun.

Give it a try, if you don't want to send it back to SA - they WILL take care of the problem, if you can do without you gun for a while.

Tony www.m1911.org

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines...

·
Registered
86 Posts
i had the same problem with my springfield, a 2001 model. my friend just bought a 2000 model both had the same extractor problem. he is sending his to wilson because of the trouble i have had. my pistol is gone for the second time for repairs, i e-mailed several times and all i get is the obligatory "we are sorry for your trouble" and it always takes several days for an answer to an e-mail. mine had a new extractor when it came back the first time and that solved the initial problem. then, after about 750 rounds it started jamming the round into the top of the chamber. hanging halfway into battery, and you could not force it. it was doing this with different ammo so i sent it back. when it comes back this time, if i have the slightest problem, it is gone for a Beretta Elite II.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts