1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does the last round always stay stuck in the magazine, resting peacefully on the follower? What is the remedy?

It's a new gun, STI Edge in 40. Six new STI 140mm magazines that hold 18 rounds of 40 S&W loaded to 1.180" OAL. The ammo works perfectly in two Para P-16-40's.

Do I need new springs and followers?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Hmmm... The follower is probably fine, and you say they are new mags.

Me thinks your springs are for the 140mm, but if you stuff 18 rounds in them, does that mean you have the extended bases?

I am guessing if the floorplates are extended, your mag spring is running just a bit short. Try getting a spring for the 170's, and trimming it to maybe a coil or two longer than the 140 spring.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The culprit was the slide stop. It needed a little dimple in the back end for the plunger detent to engage into. That keeps the slide stop from locking the slide open until the magazine is empty.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Interesting problem...

So what you meant in the first post was that the slide was locking open before the last round was chambered? I am surprised that this didn't manifest itself earlier on, with more than just the last round left in the mag.

Oh well...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi banjobart.
Your problem is very common, and more prominent with after market followers that are not made correctly. The follower is contacting,(slightly bumping into)the slide lock with one round still in the mag. You can check this by taking the slide off your frame, install the slide lock back into the frame only, and inserting a mag into the frame with one round in the mag. It doesn't take very much contact to make the slide lock move, so check it carefully. You can fix the problem by removing material off the bottom of the slide lock where the follower contacts it. Debending on who's followers you are using will determine how much you will have to remove. If you would like to make your 140mm .40cal mags hold 20 rounds, still 140mm USPSA Limited legal and 100% guaranteed reliable, give me a call.

------------------
Beven Grams
Owner
Grams Engineering
2435 Norse Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
phone: 949-548-3745
fax: 949-548-8122
email: ([email protected])
web: (www.gramseng.com)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts