1911Forum banner

Latest Purchase: P7M8 (pic)

2727 Views 36 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Suppo
I'm VERY excited about this recent purchase...after having shot one at a friends place briefly I was hooked, and finally got my hands on one of my own.

I'd like to know what advice/comments/experiences other owners would care to share?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
3,432 Posts
You now have what some of us who own them feel to be the best-overall 9mm semiautomatic pistol made.

Come over to www.parkcitiestactical.com if you want to fraternize with a bunch iof other P7 aficianados on a dedicated P7 forum.

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
That is a cool pistola you've got there

:rock:

That is one of the few that has always been on my wish list. Can never save up enough coin to pop for one though. :scratch: Always seem to find something else on my list before I have the money.

My most recent diversion. A WWII, Nazi proofmarked P38. This is before cleaning and shooting.

Robert

· Registered
541 Posts
I've always wanted a P7M8 also. But just like the previous poster something else usually gets the money before I get enough saved up for one. Looks like a nice one. Someday I'll have one. It's the only 9mm I have any interest in owning.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
SAWBONES said:
You now have what some of us who own them feel to be the best-overall 9mm semiautomatic pistol made.

Come over to www.parkcitiestactical.com if you want to fraternize with a bunch iof other P7 aficianados on a dedicated P7 forum.
Kevin Costner was right on in "The Bodyguard". A BHP and a P7 M8. Best nines EVER.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's one hell of a piece for sure...Thanks for the comments!

Fortunately I worked out a trade for this one...I'd have never saved the cash either, but knew I had to get my hands on one before prices started skyrocketing...

Robert, looks like a nice diversion to me!

· Registered
3,499 Posts
Was at a range where you could rent as many guns as you wanted (one at a time) for $5 within a half hour. This was back in 1994. I had a bunch of 9 ball so I grabbed a 226. Liked it. Brought it back. Grabbed a Glock. Ehhh. Returned it. Then I tried the P7M8.

I heard angels sing after the first shot.

I was looking for the slide release to chamber the 1st round in the 2nd magazine and almost fainted when the slide went forward after squeezing the lever.

Why oh WHY can't they make this gun over here?!?!!?

· Registered
250 Posts
My P7M8 is my single favorite gun. It is perfectly sized for carry (as long as you have a holster designed for it) and is scary in the accuracy department. About the only drawback to it is that the front section (where the gas piston is) gets very hot after about 50 near continuous rounds or so. Much more than that and the gun can get uncomfortable to hold in bare hands. My 1911 doesn't get that hot even after a few hundred rounds.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
nf9648 said:
Does the grip on those work like a grip safety for a 1911, or it that a slide release or what does it do?
It's a cocking lever. Once fully depressed the gun is cocked and the trigger fires single-action. Once the gun runs dry and the slide locks back, release the cocking lever and hit the mag release. Insert a fresh mag and squeeze the lever. The slide is released and the gun is cocked. It's even faster than it sounds!:rock:

· Registered
5,090 Posts
In the last catalog CDNN had some of these. Don't remember the price though as I'm content with the P7 I already have. You will like your P7 I'm certain. One Gunwriter has stated the P7 may be best for the person who just shoots that alone, but I disagree with him on that.

· Registered
970 Posts
I know what you mean by being "Hooked" once you shoot one. I had never shot one until a co-worker of mine years ago brought one to some raneg shooting we were doing. It was the P7M10, the 40 cal version. I had handled them a few times in the past and had thought they were neat, but I wasn't THAT taken with them.
When he let me step to the line with that baby my entire outlook on them changed. It was the most solid feeling pistol I had ever shot. It felt like a bank vault when it cycled. I wish I could explain the feeling better. I wasn't a good shot, but damn if I didn't fill the center of the target at the 50 foot line. I was just AMAZED by it. Needless to say I left that day a fan of the P7 series. I toyed with the idea of getting one but even back then they were SKY HIGH. I couldn't afford to sink $900 and change into one of them.

You shoot a P7 and you'll have to have one. Too bad they cost so darn much.

Nala

· Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Congrats on the P7!

As you and others have suggested, quite simply the finest 9mm ever drawn. :rock:

I have had my M13 now for 15 years and it will never leave here. If you are looking for quality grips (quite simply the best wooden grips you can buy) give Nill a ring. They have some very fine HK P7 grips which do wonders in "filling" up the frame for your hand.

Enjoy,

SIG552

· Registered
842 Posts
Excalibur said:
Dunno about the gun but I REALLY like the knife!!:cool:
Geesh, come to a gun forum to comment on the knives:D
I have more tact........................
They are both very nice.
(so what is the knife?)

· Registered
94 Posts
Super accurate weapon, congrats!
The weapon got some negative press for a while on misprinted training issues and lack of PM at the armorer level for aged weapons from a large agency that fielded them but overall a GREAT weapon.

I've owned two and currently have one in a hostile environment finish, unfortunately my wife adopted it after her first time shooting it at the range. I know she'll hit whatever she aims at with it, I just hope its not me!:biglaugh:

· Registered
1,634 Posts
kels said:
Geesh, come to a gun forum to comment on the knives:D
I have more tact........................
They are both very nice.
(so what is the knife?)
If you would take the time to check my posts you would see that I comment almost exclusively on guns and always politely. I was merely stating that I have no knowledge of that particular gun but was impressed with the knife. And, NO you don't have more tact as you have so well illustrated by your snide comment.:rolleyes:

· Registered
3,499 Posts
Wire said:
Super accurate weapon, congrats!
The weapon got some negative press for a while on misprinted training issues and lack of PM at the armorer level for aged weapons from a large agency that fielded them but overall a GREAT weapon.

I've owned two and currently have one in a hostile environment finish, unfortunately my wife adopted it after her first time shooting it at the range. I know she'll hit whatever she aims at with it, I just hope its not me!:biglaugh:
I heard that an unofficial poll of NJ state police officers showed that slightly over 80% wanted to keep their P7M8's over newer, higher capacity 9's. But of course, what police chief or armorer ever listens to what the guys in harm's way really want.:mad:

Can't remember where it was from but I'm almost positive it was in an American Handgunner magazine. The section near the back "By the numbers". But it was a couple of years ago.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.