1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I am with you....I am looking for a blue 4" Model 57 (not a "Classic"). Found an unfired 4" Model 58, but not the 57. I detest nickel guns and do not care for that long of a barrel. You have good taste.

·
Banned
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve never owned a 4” m57. I bought a 58 new back in 60s. I’ve had several 6.5” 57s and this makes 4th 8 3/8”. Two were nickel. I don’t do stainless either. I keep blue P&R era S&Ws, Ns & Ks.

·
Administrator
79,737 Posts
Careful that thing doesn't grow on you. In two years I look forward to some .41 Mag loading data from you. :D

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
4" is not that much fun in 41. blued i understand and agree. i got an m45a1 colt a couple of years ago. i like lightweight commanders with no rail. now its with me everyday, light and all, in :rolleyes: a kydex holster no less. fwiw, chest holsters work well for larger hand guns. you have a very fine smith and wesson. i'm jealous.

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
I love the 41 Mag. So much funner to shot than a 44. In fact, I never had a 44 until my father left me his.

I have a Smith Model 58 and 657 Hunter. Add in a Freedom Arms 41 mag and I kinda have it covered. Almost.

·
Banned
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Careful that thing doesn't grow on you. In two years I look forward to some .41 Mag loading data from you. :D
No way. I just skinned clear out of 41mgs a year or so ago. I never liked them. The 16gauge shotgun of revolvers. Not enough bigger than 357 or smaller than 44 to mess with. However you’ns are welcome to my 41 data. I just sold my loading dies and didn’t have a 41 left. I still have molds and sizing dies yet. I found that I have been shooting 38sp K38s, 44sp M24s and 45s in 25-5 and 25-2s more than magnum models. Besides who besides a piano player, and my brother would carry a nickel plated pistol. * loads marked MATT were for Bros Ruger Blackhawk.
Font Handwriting Paper Document Monochrome

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I like the .41 magnum. Better ballistics than .357 magnum and not too much recoil like .44 magnum. Just right. It's like my 10mm 1911's. Ballistics with my Underwood Ammo Xtreme Penetrator cartridges easily beat out the 9mm, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W, yet the 10mm recoil is not bad.

I have just one .41 magnum. I bought this off of Gunbroker years ago at a reasonable price, $900, in excellent condition. I dislike nickel plating and long barrels as well as the new S&W 657's. Mine is stainless steel (which I like) with 4" barrel S&W 657.

I don't like checkered grips and switched the original Goncalo Alves with smooth, Pau Ferro wood grips from Hogue. They feel much better than checkered grips and I get a tight grip without any slippage.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Ammunition

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
First N frame was a blued 4 inch Model 57. Sent it off to be magnaported. Really sorry I sold it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The 10mm revolver has tremendous advantage in ability to handle less expensive, more affordable .40 S&W ammo. This makes it obvious choice over .41 Magnum or .357 Magnum. The .38 Special can be used in .357 but it is expensive and more difficult to find. The .44 has power advantage over .41 and extra versatility of handling defensive .44 Special ammunition.

·
Banned
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sold all my 4” N frames except still have a couple near mint M28s. Got rid of all my NIBs except a M24. I got 38s-357s-44sp-44mg-45Colt-45acp in N frames. Don’t need 41. I have a old 3screw SBH that I bought in 1964. That is my designated deer shooter. Only revolver I have using jacketed bullets and magnum loads. I do have a nickel S&W 32/20 that I took on deal. I never keep fixed sight models.
I will say M58 firing first store bought ammo, Peters 210 JSP printed right with the sights. That wasn’t just mine, several buddies had them and they all shot extremely well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I won an 8 3/8" 57 at a match in 1977, since I had a couple of .44 Magnums I decided to sell it, since long N-frames were going for 4 times the catalog price at the time, but I also won a couple of boxes of factory rounds with it and made the mistake of shooting it - the thing thinks it is a rifle! Since then, while I haven't actually become a fan of the .41 Magnum, I've added three more (all model 58s) - they shoot well too. Now I keep my eye out for a deal on a 6.5" 3-screw Ruger or a 6" 57.

I've killed a little bit of game with the .41, it seems to work as well as the .44 Magnum, considerably better than a .357. A friend has a pair of custom L-frames in ".41 Special" which I lust after.

Riposte

·
Administrator
79,737 Posts
I have to ask, if you hate it so much then why did you buy it? If nothing else you just denied someone else who might've been searching gun shops for a clean used .41 Magnum in nickel.

·
Banned
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to ask, if you hate it so much then why did you buy it? If nothing else you just denied someone else who might've been searching gun shops for a clean used .41 Magnum in nickel.
The price was only reason I bought it. Normally would only take such a gun on trade. I will use it to trade for blue S&W or flip it. I don’t let anything go by that is killer deal wether I like it or not. That’s why I got a big gun collection. It wasn’t built up by looking for one gun I was looking for. I went that route when I was young. Sat in may auctions waiting for certain firearm to come to doc. Only to have it run up and bought by others. Meanwhile many good deals I passed. I saw the error of my ways and bid on anything that would increase my lot. Gun dealing is every man for himself. I don’t know anyone who passes a good deal on anything on the basis of denying it to someone else. Whether it’s a truck, horse or anything else. I’ve never herd someone make such a statement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts