1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what brand lathes you gunsmiths like in the 6-7 inch (bench?) size. Also wanted to know what welders (TIG?) you feel are best for gunsmithing needs.

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I have a question to add
who makes a us lathe that is us made and does not cost 2 times the ti version. not interested in china machine.

the one we are looking for is 14 ish inch with digital and at least 2" possibly 3 through the spindle.

I Like my Logan lathe for the smaller parts it has served well and is not a flat bed machine. For the Tig we use a Miller.
I think there is a couple different makers of the craftsman lathe? One was heavier duty than the other but I would defer to others.
geo ><>

·
Premium Member
11,705 Posts
I've got 2 lathes, an old South Bend 9x54 with almost zero wear when I bought it and a newer ENCO import 14x72. Hole through the spindle on the South Bend is too small for any thing larger than 3/4". My mill is an old Bridgeport M-head with a round overarm (ram). Been trying to find a reasonably priced TIG setup for awhile myself. Maybe an add on unit for my arc welder. I don't do enough welding to justify a dedicated unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts