1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ran across a sweetheart deal on a model 94 Ranger at Kmart. Laugh all you want, Kmart had this one CHEAP. Anyways, I was willing to try to get used to that stupid crossbolt hammerblock safety so I jumped all over it. The model 94s I handled in my childhood were great, so needless to say I was pretty excited and couldn't wait to try it out on paper. It was to be my truck gun.

I have never been so disappointed in a rifle before in my life (and speaking as someone that was issued a wore out M-16, that's saying something) LOL. Not only did Winchester let a bunch of punk lawyers talk them into that crossbolt safety, they let 'em ruin the trigger pull as well. I'll admit, trigger pulls on Model 94s have never been anything to write home about but this new model has what can only be described as a profanity.

After about a foot of initial take-up you hit resistance. This fools you into thinking that you're at the break... WRONG! Continued trigger pressure produces an audible "click" with more trigger movement afterwards. Now you are up against the actual trigger break. Welcome to the world of the eight pound pull, after which there's EVEN more movement that I've termed "backlash". If, and only IF, you've actually remembered to push the crossbolt to "fire" then the rifle will go boom at this time.

Add all of this to the fact that you've got to squeeze the lever the whole time and you've got a rifle that's been ruined by a lawyer.

This is an outrage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Shame about your Model 94...My wife got me a Winchester 1892 in 44 mag for Xmas last year and i love it...it cost a bit more than the 94 but it shoots and handles great..

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yep. Years back when they started putting that "safety" on them, I picked up three of the pre-safety ones. One for me (I've taken one deer with it) and two for my boys. The boys 94's are still in their boxes waiting to see if they develop any interest in hunting.
I hunted with an old 94 as a kid and I confess I can't see any reason to have that safety on the gun.

·
Registered
229 Posts
OUCH! I just bought a Winchester 94 in .45 LC and after one session on the range thought it was a pretty neat little package. Neither the safety nor the lever squeeze bothered me at all.

However, I'm very frustrated about not finding .45 LC ballistics info for this or any other long gun. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
There are ways to remove those things, but it's a self-do job. No gunsmith would touch it.
You can also blame some fellow gun owners for the whole deal. Some guys were carrying Winchesters cocked and dropped them and had them go off. They sued for their own stupidity and won. Winchester is trying to protect themselves from their own customers. Listen, people are stupid. I had a guy who threw a rope into the blades of his wind turbine to try and stop it. The blades were going several thousand RPM's and when the rope went into them, they shattered. He's lucky he wasn't killed or injured. But, no one told him NOT to do it!! That's how people are. And, I agree, it's sad to see the classic lines of a classic rifle ruined by that crossbolt safety. But I have a '94 n lay-away simply because I want a carbine to match my single action.44 Magnum in caliber and I've fired one of them before. Safeties don't really bother me that much. I'm a one shot kind of guy. If a .44 Magnum doesn't drop what I'm aiming at, then I'm in a world of dookey.
------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

[This message has been edited by Kevan (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Kevan:
There are ways to remove those things, but it's a self-do job. No gunsmith would touch it.
I remember reading something in Cooper's Corner about removing the crossbolt safety and slicking up the trigger. Man, I wish I could find that magazine again! I guess it's too much to hope that someone will direct me to the appropriate issue....

The crossbolt doesn't bother me near as much as the crappy trigger.

Regards,
Callahan

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
You might try asking someone in the Cowboy Action Shooting scene. Try the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) discussion forum.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
75 Posts
man there are millions of 94s around for sale for 200 bucks at most any gunshow.i picked up one in mint condition several years ago.action is smooth.i always thought the lever was like the grip safty of the 1911.you must squeeze it to release the trigger.really no problem and a very safe system.i never could figure out the need for an addisional safty ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts