1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like opinions on how secure a mainspring housing with lanyard loop will be.I was looking at the Gunsite one. I was just curious as to if I attach a lanyard..how will the MH hold up to being pulled on by the lanyard. thanks!

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

[This message has been edited by PM 7 (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The loop is secured to the MSH by a steel pin and the MSN is secured to the frame by another steel pin. I believe your lanyard would break long before those pins would give.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The laynard loop is extremely durable. In fact your trigger is more fragile than the laynard loop. It is a seldom used feature, however very usefull when needed.
I would not own a duty pistol without one.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just looked up the Gunsite laynard ms. It is a $100 part! used ones are available for next to nothing. you can get them serrated or checkered. Your local gunsmith should have a box full of them.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate all the info. I have been using my lanyard on my G-35 for over a year now and it is really useful(I ride a bike on duty). I am switching to a TRP and wanted to put a lanyard on it too. Hey Dan, LMk if you find a cheaper MSH that Gunsite..I will buy it from you. Thanks!

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

[This message has been edited by PM 7 (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,215 Posts
I have one of the Gunsite housings, and it looks like the loop is soldered in. It looks plenty strong. I haven't swung the gun around on a lanyard, but I suspect the lanyard would give before the loop. There was a lanyard thread on Firing Line, and one guy was saved when his lanyard broke at a designed weight limit; he was involved in a helo crash, his lanyard was caught in on something in the copter, and it was sinking. I hadn't thought that perhaps a lanyard shouldn't be TOO strong.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Smith and Alexander now makes a lanyard loop MSH that is like the 1911GI original.
www.smithandalexander.com

Just wanted to add that it is still not listed on their website but if you contact them you can order it. They have a flat smooth or flat checkered, I know as I have gotten them in the past. Don't know if they are making stainless yet....

[This message has been edited by G. Kennedy (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Old lanyard loop mainspring housings are available at most gunshows for next to nothing. Checkering them is cheap. They are the classic touch to any 1911 and are practical in many scenarios..They also allow you to open beer bottles by popping the mag part way out..

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Originally posted by mark 4 45:
They also allow you to open beer bottles by popping the mag part way out..
Man, that is some UNSAFE advice to be tossing around. There's all kinds of folks that read this stuff, some don't know much about guns. Please think about stuff like this next time. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan, email is on the way. Thanks to everyone for the info(esp. the beer opening part)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey, Inspector! Who died and made you boss? I love to open beer bottles with a 1911. It works great if you don't pull the trigger. You must be a liberal watch dog on the safe police force. Bet your beer comes in cans!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts