1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of springs for my LCP from Wolff, an 11# recoil spring and a firing pin spring. I changed out the recoil spring, but is it worth the hassle changing the firing pin spring? Looks like a bit of a job.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Not a lot of hassle really. I change them out whenever I change the recoil spring. You've paid for it anyway.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Once you've done it a few times it's no big deal. If you haven't done it you probably need to anyway because the firing pin and extractor tunnels get caked with gunpowder.

The big thing for first-timers is to be aware that the spring will launch the firing pin across the room or into your eyeball. Until you get the hang of it, depress the firing pin with a matchstick (I use the blunt end of a wooden shishkabob skewer) until you can push the firing pin stop partially up. Then put the slide in a gallon size zip lock back and push the firing pin stop all the way out letting the bag catch the spring & pin. That's for series 70. Series 80 is a bit more complicated but still easy -- and still necessary.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed you've got an LCP. I've never taken one down, so my technique may not apply.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As mentioned it really isn't hard at all. Just take your time and be sure to have something to catch the firing pin and spring in case you slip (I always recommend doing such procedures for the first time with your hands inside a one gallon bag the first time as it does a great job catching things). Once you have done it once it will be a lot easier. Any job worth doing is worth doing right and if you don't change the spring you'll always think you should have. If you still feel intimidated search: 'LCP firing pin removal' on YouTube and see some guys do it effortlessly.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LCP firing pin

Yes, I have watched the videos. I guess it really doesn't look that hard. Do I need to invest in those special 3/32" roll pin punches? Do I need to replace it (roll pin) with a new one each time?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
No you don't. If push comes to shove you could do it with a ballpoint pen. It isn't rocket science.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts