1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience running a shooting tournament. I'm w/ an LE agency of about 500 commisioned and am thinking about putting on a LE/military tourney to help us raise funds for "Presentation Guns" for retiring officers of 25+ years. Anyone have any experience reference the skill competetions/classes/requirements...etc??? I'm just brainstorming but I think it's do-able. Anyone w/ good or bad experiences at these events?? Thanks, any input appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I'm not a LEO but I have been involved in running 3 different shooting events for LEOs. These tournaments/matches were action type shooting events based on situations the agencies involved might encounter. In planning these events we consulted the local Chiefs, Sheriffs and Post Commanders. We tried to have an event that was not only fun but a usefull learning experience. Ammo was free , arrangements were made so that on duty officers could shoot.

In each case the turn out was very poor. The point I'm trying to make is most LEOs are not gun people. Maybe your event, being a fund raiser, would get a better result.

·
Registered
101 Posts
fund raiser

You might want to contact TEAM SPARTAN, which is a training company in the Chicago, Illinois area.

Every year they run a fund rasier for Toys-for-Tots that gets a big turnout. (I shot in the first one, but work commitments have prevented me from going down to the last couple :( ) They may be able to give you some ideas.

http://teamspartan.com/TEAM_SPARTAN_NEWSLETTER_NOVEMBER_2007.htm

It's REALLY hard to get the cops to come out and shoot, because most of them don't have much interest, and some of the officers who have some degree of interest are intimidated or reluctant or something. Even when you give them copies of the courses of fire so they know what to expect, they won't come out. (Of course, if they have really young kids at home, I understand . . . )

As one of my USPSA buddies said years ago -- "Cops will go out by themselves and stop a car full of strangers on a dark road without any backup and think nothing about it, but they're afraid to come out and shoot in front of 'civilians' because they don't want to look bad!"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Jeff22, Just to add to what you said. The first couple of times that I shot in USPSA was a real ego check for me. It gave me a new dedication to shooting and learning. I have been trying to get more of my co workers to come out but like previously stated most of them have no interest and most of the others aren't willing to take the time to go to a competition.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Most of the cops come out to a couple competitions (or less) and are never to be seen again....Especially SWAT guys!

I shot a USPSA match in the late 80s and knew instantly I needed to improve...Heck with the ego stuff.

Competition got me way ahead of the curve. When I practice some nights I get visitors (other Officers) who see my routine and leave before they can be asked to join in...Good luck getting a response. Our Chamber of Commerce held matches at the PD range in the 80s and back then shooting was a good thing unlike today. Now we can't get Officers to come out and shoot their alloted ammo for the year. No problem...I'll take care of that for them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts