1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've used Laser-Cast quite a bit for their 200LSWC, but they lead a fair amount, even though they're advertised not to. Precision Bullets--lead with a moly coating--are supposed to be nice (low leading, low smoke), but the shipping makes them kind of expensive ($45 per 1000 + $15 shipping). Nevertheless, both come with a bevel base which I think is key to quick and effective reloading.

·
Banned
217 Posts
The truth is that the best bullet is the cheapest. Since the cost of shipping lead is high ($20/1000), your best source is the local caster.

I really like Oregon Trail's LazerCast, but I can buy other bullets cheaper. By the way, you have to drive LazerCast bullets hard with slower powders to eliminate leading. Trying to shoot slow with Bluedot/W231/HP38 etc. will cause leading. If you buy softer bullets you can get away with put-put loads easier.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
dla,

You speak the truth about Laser-Cast's leading problems. Why don't they come clean and admit it, instead of constantly saying that they don't lead barrels??!!

·
Banned
217 Posts
Fremont: I don't think their bullets lead all that bad when pushed soft - my barrels cleaned up the same as always. But I'll admit that it took me awhile to realize that they shoot much cleaner when I loaded them hot.

Oregon Trail is telling the truth when they say you can drive them at jacketed velocities. Actually you can drive them faster. If they weren't so hard they'd make good carry loads. But Oregon Trail doesn't tell you that the bullets will flame cut with light loads and fast powders. By the way, I had a brain fluff in original post as I said "blue dot" when I meant "bullseye".

I've shot a lot of Lazer Cast using Hodgdon Clays (not Universal or International). I load them pretty hot (for Clays anyway) and they shoot clean. Most of time I use AA5 and drive them pretty fast, even though AA5 is almost as dirty as Unique.

If I lived in Baker City, Oregon (about 400 miles away) or if I drove through there once in a while, I'd shoot Oregon Trail products exclusively - I like their stuff. But I'm not a bullseye shooter so I can't say that their product is superior in my guns. I'm one of those guys that likes the Buck&Roar of full-house loads and I like to split blocks of wood, breaking rocks, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts