1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just start reload a few months ago,I need some advice from experienced reloader here . What harm can be done if I using lead cast bullet , I know lead bullet is no no with Glock but how about other like Ruger , Norinco ,Kimber and Colt? What about lead poisoning form lead exposure?and cancer and birth defect? A fella at shooting range told me only way i can get lead poisoning form lead bullet is being shot by one . He also told me that when i ready to quit the session I can shoot the TMJ to wash off the lead deposite.How much lead deposite for 300 -500 rounds? (from.45)and what a nice tricktoget them out . Thankin advance for advice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the bullets are hard enough you shouldn't have any leading unless the barrel is really rough. Some lead bullet/powder combos also leave more residual lead then others.

Most indoor ranges have an exhaust system to minimize the effects of lead inhalation but you should check to be sure.

If your barrel does lead lightly a few jacketed rounds will push out it out. But don't try this in a heavily leaded barrel as you could damage it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The leading will depend a lot on the smoothness of the bore of the barrel. Just monitor the amount of leading buildup as you go through the amount you normally shoot in one session and clean it out as needed. The fumes coming off the burning primer is lead styphinate (spelling might be off) and it is not the healthiest stuff around, but with adequate ventilation should not be a problem. It would probably be best to just use a bore brush or one off the lead remover patches (look like cut round pieces of brass screening material) to take the leading out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My wife and I shoot around 400 rounds with cast lead bullets per week. For cleaning the barrels we take a copper chore boy apart so you can start pulling a single thread off it. Wrap a bronze bore brush with the thread until it is a snug fit in the barrel. Scrub the barrel until clean and then clean it as you would if shooting any other bullet. As for the lead issue with the Glock, my wife shoots a G27 and we bought an after market barrel for it. It has standard riflings and a fully supported chamber. No problem shooting cast lead bullets for practice. For concealed carry she changes barrels and loads up with factory ammo.

[This message has been edited by Doug in Alaska (edited 11-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Doug in Alaska (edited 11-03-2001).]

·
Banned
217 Posts
The dominant lead exposure issue is the priming compound. Just don't breathe the smoke. There have been various theories about how the base of the lead bullet is vaporized, but I'm not sure they would stand up to critical examination. Need to find some intelligent measure data.

The fastest way to clean the barrel is to shoot a few (say 5) jacketed rounds, immediately followed by 10 strokes of a bronze bore brush. Follow the brush with a patch, wetted with your favorite oil or dry.

I shoot lead exclusively in .45acp 1911s. I refer to jacketed stuff as "cleaners".

By the way, I think barrel leading is overrated as a concern.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was concerned with lead exposure(read the article in the IDPA newsletter) and had it checked last month during the company annual physical. Blood lead level was 11 mcg/dl. Normal range for an adult is 0-20.
I reload lead bullets and shoot approx. 500 rds per month. The precautions listed in the manuals seem to work well. I make it a point not to allow my kids around bullets or empty cases. Kids and women are affected by much smaller amounts than an adult male.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank everyone for the input.My Norinco must has a rough bore because even with FMJ it still has some lead left near the front.I only shoot outdoor so ventelation is not a problem.I plan to get lead removor kit from Midway when I start using lead cast bullet.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I shoot lead exclusively in my 1911 45, mostly my homecast wheel weight alloy bullets. Even with my IDPA loads at 165+ power factor, there's no leading. I rarely clean the bore, maybe a couple times a year. That's shooting 500+ a rounds a week during the summer. I just swab out the chamber now and then to ensure function.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've been shooting cast lead bullets in a Glock 27 .40-S&W for over 3-years, standard Glock polygonal rifled barrel. Bullets shoot great, barrel shows no leading at all.

The only problem encountered was at the chamber 'mouth' which would eventually accumulate w/lead-and-bullet-lube build up to the extent that a round would not fully chamber.

This is really a serious problem as it typically delays my target shooting between 120-and-180 seconds while I yank the barrel out, run a bore brush and dry patch through it, and re-assemble the pistol. Part of that time includes pouring and sipping some fresh, hot coffee...

(I suppose I would NOT recommended cast bullets in a GLOCK for duty / carry use, but fine for casual hole-punching)

Your actual mileage may vary, indeed. --CC

·
Registered
688 Posts
Originally posted by Capt_C:

The only problem encountered was at the chamber 'mouth' which would eventually accumulate w/lead-and-bullet-lube build up to the extent that a round would not fully chamber.
Exactly. I just make sure my chamber mouth is clean prior to a match, and I'm set to go.

Usual disclaimer: While lead bullets are great for competition and practice, I use jacketed for carry in semi autos.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

1 - 10 of 10 Posts