1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's almost blasphemous to shoot lead bullets in a GI gun, but what have everyone's experience been with 230 grain LRN bullets? Will they feed? I'd also appreciate any guidance on overall length.

·
Registered
251 Posts
shot tons of them, a little dirty compared to fmj but not blasphemy at all. use a loaded fmj toset up your seating die and use a taper crimp die to crimp - i happen to use 4.5 gr bullseye which is moderate load at about 775fps in 5" pistols - your mileage will vary

·
Administrator
73,850 Posts
In the first half of the century people outside the military used to use RNL in their 1911 autos all the time. It was believed to have better stopping power than FMJ.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Nothing wrong with sending lead down the barrel of a USGI .45. I've shot a bunch of it.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If I had a nickle for every lead round I have fired thur a GI 45 I could retire yesterday, or at least today. I have never heard that it was blasphemous, or bad or wrong to shoot lead in a GI gun. Just because the military does it different sure dosent make it right.

If someone is telling you not to do this, then I suggest that you allow them to furnish your ammunition. Have a good 'un

1 - 5 of 5 Posts