1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having lots of fun with my Kimber Rimfire since I received my Ciener Mags. Put 500 rds of Winchester Wildcat through it yesterday with zero problems.

Anyway, are any of you worried about lead exposure when loading your mags with Winchester Wildcat or Remington Thunderbolts? My thumb and forefinger get a thick coat of somthing. not sure if it is lead or wax or some other coating. I have used a examination glove to reduce exposure but it can be a real pain with high volume shooting.

How much lead exposure do you think is too much?

I am interested to hear your opinions on this.
Dom

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Exposed lead .22's are waxed (lubed) at the factory. That's what is getting on your fingers. Basic precautions when dealing with lead are more than adequate. Don't eat or smoke while handling, wash your hands well after and you'll be fine.

Lead has been used for many hundreds of years. There never has been an epidemic of lead poisoning cases.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Lead gets into the body either by breathing it or swallowing it. Like was said above, wash your hands WELL with soap and warm water after handling it, and shoot in properly ventilated places (ie: outdoors or on a properly equipped indoor range).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lead enters the body 3 ways (4 if you count being shot!)

1. Absorbed through the skin
2. Inhaled into your lungs
3. Ingested by way of mouth

The bad thing about lead exposure, is your body treats any lead as if it were calcium. It takes 20 yrs. for it to work it's way through your system. That being said. I'd clean my guns with rubber gloves, and use the other tips about not smoking and eating around ranges.

If you do alot of indoor shooting, have you Dr. check your lead level when you get a physical. It's a simple blood test.

I hope this offered you a little more info into the lead exposure issue..........UW

·
Registered
605 Posts
I load a lot of lead swaged and cast bullets for my handguns and used to shoot a lot of it in indoor range. I have done this for over 15 years and I get tested for lead every year but never had elevated lead levels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lead has been used for many hundreds of years. There never has been an epidemic of lead poisoning cases. [/B]
Just for the sake of historical accuracy, the ancient Roman Empire was one big lead poisoning epidemic...lead pipes. However, there's never been one concerning ammunition. I just asked an EMT here at work who is also a gun owner and he said that given the normal precautions, there should be nothing to worry about. Lots of good suggestions here, though. Enjoy, my friend!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts