1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a SA Loaded pistol the day before a USPSA match. I couldn't wait to shoot it so I used it in the match. I shoot 250 rounds of FMJ and was short of ammo. So I grabbed a box of crappy Ultramax reloads with lead bullets from a buddy. I shot the whole box. When I got home to clean the barrel was obviously dirty. I worked on it for about two hours and there is still crap in the barrel. I'm not talking a little gray on the patch, I mean black patches. I can still see the fouling in the barrel.

Was the problem that I put 300 rounds through it right off the bat? Crappy lead bullets? Or a rough barrel? If it is a rough barrel what can I do? Any tricks to get this stuff out without so much work.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Either crappy bullets or possibly a rough bore.

To remove, buy a Lewis Lead Remover kit. This is an old stand-by of lead bullet shooter's in both revolvers and autos, and is considered a standard piece of shooter's equipment.

There are other methods, but the Lewis is the one guaranteed NOT to harm that expensive barrel.

After you get the bore CLEAN, try a better brand of lead bullets. If it still leads badly.......back to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
565 Posts
m1a convert

FYI, Wilson recommends against following jacketed bullets with lead because of the difficulty in cleaning the gun. Apparently the copper bonds to the barrel and then the lead bonds to the copper.

In so far as cleaning lead out of the barrel, take a strip of a copper cleaning pad, such as Chore Boy, wrap it around an old worn-out brush, and dry swab the barrel. Inexpensive and works like a champ.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think Xhair is correct. Some of the worst fouling to clean out is lead on top of copper. IMHO you should avoid interchanging jacketed bullets with lead unless you can clean the barrel in between. BD

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Xhair beat me to the punch. Going from jacketed to lead is a cleaning NIGHTMARE. Even going from lead to jacketed can be a problem. Most think that if they shoot, lead then "CLEAN" it out with jacketed, it will clean up easier, actually what happens is it takes the big stuff out but then smears a thin coat of lead into the rifling and is almost as bad cleaning out as what you just found. Tracy

P.S. Speaking from experience

1 - 6 of 6 Posts