1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't more manufacturers offer lead HP, instead of JHP?

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Presumably because making them is no less difficult than standard JHP, and there's no real benefit to them over regular JHP or FMJ for target use?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suspect they would be cheaper to make?

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
They wouldn't make them for a semi-auto round since they would pose a feeding problem. They did that in the old days. They didn't work very well.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
38 Special is one of the few rounds still using lead hollowpoints (in the 158 grain lswc-hp rounds). When they expand, the mushrooms often end up shearing off. Jacketing would reduce/prevent this. Just a thought.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay And what would the lead HPs do that current cast of jacketed bullets don't?
Again, I'm thinking cheaper to make = cheaper to buy.

Also, your barrel would last forever. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
If they made the .45 in lead, then Glock owners would have no ammo for their G21 and G30 models since GLock says no lead bullets . . . ?

(Yes, I know people load and shoot lead reloads thrueir Glocks all the time . . . :) )

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Remington's express line of ammo has a semi jacketed hp that has a copper jacket over the rub the barrel part and expose lead nose and is a disruptive bullet design but no across the ammo line and not as a loading component. I still load the speer swc-hp for practice and defence needs in 38 loads

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Again, I'm thinking cheaper to make = cheaper to buy.

Also, your barrel would last forever. :)
However, straight lead doesn't do as well as jacketed for actual anti-personnel use, so you have major tradeoffs.

They do have HP bullet molds, so if you want to run straight lead HPs, go for it. :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have some 38 hollow base wad-cutters that I loaded 30 years ago. I did invert the bullet and when it hits something it does flatten out very quickly. Not much penetration.

Also after 10 to 15 yards the bullet starts tumbling. I shot a washing machine (it was very aggressive) at a dump and from 15+ yards the bullet did not go through the sheet metal but put one big dent in the side of it. Also it was keyhole dent in it.

I thought that this would be a great SD load in the house with kids in the next bedroom.

Have not shot the load in years.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Several manufacturers do:

Buffalo Bore 38 Spl Short Barrel, 38 Spl Heavy, 45 Colt, 45 Colt +P Deer Grenade.

Federal: 38 Spl Nyclad, 44 Spl LSWCHP, 45 Colt LSWCHP.

I'm sure there are other ammo manufacturers - seems like I remember Remington and Winchester both offering LSWCHP bullets ("FBI load") in 38 Spl.

Unfortunately, no semi-auto calibers at this time. The reason the selection is so low is strictly perceived market demand for such bullets.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
There's been and are some, but sincd the advent of
of Jacketed Hollow Points with SuperVel / Lee Juras in 1969
and the improvmenets in design for controlled expansion
the lead HP isn't popular probably because ther's no
way to predict how it might expand.

Also, Lead SWC hardcast Keith Style bullet the ledge at the
at the base of the truncated cone//nose of the bullet
this ledge Elmer Keith called the cutting edge for a reason
it's what it does in termainal ballistics and
compared to a fmj that slips thourugh tissue, they do more dmage

SWCs are for Hunting the classic ..44 Mag load is a 240 gr. SWC at
1400+ FPS oh & cut neat round holes in paper.

Last I bought bullets 200 gr. .451 Leadhead SWC hardcast
ran about 7.5 cents each. at the same time Hornady 200 gr. XTPs were
16.6" each

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
There's been and are some, but sincd the advent of of Jacketed Hollow Points with SuperVel / Lee Juras in 1969 and the improvmenets in design for controlled expansion the lead HP isn't popular probably because ther's no way to predict how it might expand.

Also, Lead SWC hardcast Keith Style bullet the ledge at the at the base of the truncated cone//nose of the bullet this ledge Elmer Keith called the cutting edge for a reason it's what it does in termainal ballistics and compared to a fmj that slips thourugh tissue, they do more dmage

SWCs are for Hunting the classic ..44 Mag load is a 240 gr. SWC at 1400+ FPS oh & cut neat round holes in paper.

Last I bought bullets 200 gr. .451 Leadhead SWC hardcast ran about 7.5 cents each. at the same time Hornady 200 gr. XTPs were 16.6" each
*hands R. Mortermer a dollar* </obscure reference>

·
Registered
15 Posts
...(Snip)..........Also, Lead SWC hardcast Keith Style bullet the ledge at the
at the base of the truncated cone//nose of the bullet
this ledge Elmer Keith called the cutting edge for a reason
it's what it does in termainal ballistics and
compared to a fmj that slips thourugh tissue, they do more dmage
Just to add a little "FWIW" info into this thread:.................

I have in front of me a "Red & Yellow" colored cardboard box that reads as follows:
.......MARKELL Incorporated 4115 Judah Street, San Francisco 94122
(100) .45 cal. Lead Hollow Point - Keith Style- 240 grain.
Precision Cast Lead Bullets...........

I have about 70 of the 100 left. I have taken a few white Tail and Mule Deer with the following load out of a Colt SAA 7 1/2" barrel, 2nd generation mfg in Nov 1956. 9 gr of Unique --medium roll crimp into the crimping groove and a Federal Lg Pistol Primer. The Point of Aim and The Point of Impact happen to be the same at 25 yards. Devestating on deer at that range. I remember one kill in particular........riding into elk camp on horseback in about 1970, I spied a Mulie in the thick brush, about 35 feet off to the right side of the trail. Knowing that deer do not spook from hearing the foot-falls of a horse.......I just kept on riding (at a walk) right past the deer and when I was about 25 feet past the deer I turned in the saddle and took my shot (aiming as best I could for his neck). As luck would have it.....the slug caught him right in the neck about 5 inches down from the top line and broke his spine. The expanded slug was 7/8 inch in diameter!!

Every body gets lucky once in a while.:D

If this almost 82 year old memory is still working............I bought these on a trip to S.F. back in the late 1960's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Scrubbing lead out of a bore whether you use a part of a brass or copper scrubbing pad wrapped on a brush, a Lewis Lead Remover, cutting patches from a lead cleaning cloth or chemistry isn't fun. Pistols are not as bad as cleaning revolvers with the lead ring left in the chambers, the forcing cone of the barrel and the bore but still not something I enjoy doing. Some indoor ranges do not allow unjacketed ammo. In the 60s through about the early 80s our department used 148gr wadcutters for practice ammo and RN and later lead hollowpoints for street ammo. The range personnel all tested high for lead. Old technology for ventilation was part of the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts