1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some OAL's on 200gr RNFP. I am using W231 and have a good grain load but I am lacking data on OAL I am currently loading to 1.20.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Pretty much I seated mine, both 200's and 250's at or just below the crimp groove. Sometimes at or above the crimp groove is too long to function reliably. If I remember correctly, right at the crimp groove is about 1.190-1.195. I usually shorten them up to 1.170-1.185. Buddy that I used to reload for shoots a Ruger P-90 and wouldn't function unless they were waaay short, about 1.145-1.155. With the rnfp's, long OAL is the prob, not short OAL. Tracy

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Rob,
I believe SDLocal is referring to the cowboy bullets (rnfp) not the 45acp 230 rn or otherwise called FMJ. I load my rn/fmj's to 1.235-1.245OAL. Tracy

·
Banned
855 Posts
Someone gave me 300rnds of handloads using the 250gr RNFP. I was impressed with how managable the recoil cycle was, and think the theory of a heavy bullet and light powder charge deserves more research. However, that particular bullet isn't designed for an autoloader, and trying to find the correct OAL might prove frustrating. The ogive is too wide, so even with a short OAL, the bullet is still too long where it matters. It may work, and it may not. As long as you don't loose confidence in your pistol's reliability then I guess nothing is harmed by experimenting.
JM

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
jmcneil,
The first box of 250 rnfp (500) I ended up giving away about 400 of them cuz I couldn't get them to work. I asked the shooting buddy I gave them to how he got them to work and he was the one that told me to shorten them up to just below the crimp groove. No they are not for auto's, but yes they work very well. Tracy

·
Banned
855 Posts
The RNFP loads that I shot worked fairly well also. I only had around four(IIRC) FTFs in the 300rnds I shot. Not bad considering the bullet is designed for revolvers. I've never had any failures with that gun prior to or after shooting up that ammo, so I figure the gun was just barely working correctly with that bullet, and occasionally choking. I didn't like the doubts I was starting to have about my pistol, even though I knew that the ammo was at fault. If your buddy has figured out how to load for 100% reliability then enjoy.
JM

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

Thanks for the help...the bullets feed well in my Trojan. Only FTF we rounds that did not get resized near the base. These rounds are for IDPA anyway. I just picked up 1500 for $63 :rock:

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
JMCNEIL,
My buddy told me the proper length to make them work. I've prob shot 25,000 all together and as long as I run them thru the LFCD they've never failed since. I like them cuz they're great for everything. They make power factor w/o any probs, they're more economical than other bullets (same cost as 230 lead and less powder=cheaper to shoot). Tracy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts