1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have use of a outdoor range so I am shooting mostly lead now. I am getting a lot of cases out of the tumbler with walnut media stuck inside the case right where the bullet base stops. I'm guessing unburnt bullet lube.

Is this the bi product of shooting lead? .45 200gr LSW w/ 5.1 gr W - 231.

Or are the bullets I am getting excessively lubed? Cleaning inside cases isn't very high on the enjoyment list and is kinda dangerous.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for a solution.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What type of walnut media are you using? If your media is bridged or wedged in there your media is to large. If the media is stuck to the walls it is an adhesive or residue problem from bullet lube or additive in the media. If you can figure out which problem to have then you can proceed to a solution.
Bridging -smaller media
sticking- clean the cases or media

Good Luck Ed Henry

·
Super Moderator
14,742 Posts
It is very unlikely that the problem is due to unburned lube. Are you using treated walnut media. I add car polish to my media, and if I don't run the tumbler for 30 min. or so before adding the brass, to let the polish mix well with the media, then I'll get media "clumping" inside the case.

And why do you say it's "dangerous" to clean the media out of the case? Use a pipe cleaner, or toothpick, or dental pick.

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guyes, the media I am useing is small, it is stuck to the case wall in a perfect circle (ring) where the base of the bullet would be. I have also done the too much polish thing before and had it clump up in the cases, but this isn't my problem.

My dangerous remark was the possibility of not seeing the clump of media in a case and loading it.

I have in the past only used jacketed bullets with 0 problems. Being new to lead, I thought this might be a common problem, thought there might be a simple solution. I have a different manufacturer of bullets on the way, maybe I will have different relults with them.

Later...

·
Registered
688 Posts
My dangerous remark was the possibility of not seeing the clump of media in a case and loading it.
Never had that happen. AFA the danger of missing it: Any inert material in the case has the effect of increasing bullet weight. When using a filler with reduced charges the weight of the filler is added to the bullet weight. For instance, I load a 151 grain cast in my 7TCU. I use 8.5 grains of spherical buffer to fill the case. My bullet weight is 159.5 and I select a powder charge accordlingly. The amount of media you may miss will probably be less than a grain. I'm betting your cast bullets vary more than that. I don't see it being a safety issue.

Sorry I can't help with the sticking problem.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I load almost nothing but lead, but i've never used Walnut medium. I've always used corncob, and i've never had this problem. Might want to try corncob and see if that solves the problem.

later,
AJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts