1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which reasonably priced commander (Colt and down) is, in the experience of those wiser than me, the least finicky with a wide range of ammo including +P loads? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
All of my Colt Combat Commanders and SA Champions eat everything I feed them, except some wadcutter rounds. I don't shoot +P ammo, but hopefully someone else will note their experience.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've never had issues with any commander 1911, they are equal in reliability to government models. It's when you start going smaller than commander size that you start seeing issues, hence I only own the government and commander sized 1911's nothing smaller.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I don't have a problem with my .45 ACP commanders. My 10 mm is a bit touchy.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have a Wiley Clapp CCO (Commander slide on Officer frame) and it's proven to be reliable with standard and +P loads.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I own Commanders of different manuf. and in various calibers......they all work wonderfully.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Since I quit buying gun show reload ammo, I have never had another issue with any 45 ACP or 9 mm. I buy what ever the store has, load it in any gun and it goes bang. You must remember one round a year is not considered an issue, it's called the human factor.

·
Premium Member
13,769 Posts
I have a Colt Super 38 and .45 both in Lightweight Commanders.
They will eat anything I can stick in them.
Hi, How many rounds to you get out of your 38s recoil spring before it needs changing?

C.A.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Which reasonably priced commander (Colt and down) is, in the experience of those wiser than me, the least finicky with a wide range of ammo including +P loads? Thanks in advance!
The Colt's are the best in that regard but still far from perfect IME.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. When I get a recurve sold I will likely be in the market for a commander size 1911. Will probably trade in my LCR. Thinking about the Ruger LW commander, a SA Range Officer compact, or a Range Officer champion.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Never any problems with any of my 4.0" and 4.25" 1911's, save one. Had a Kimber that would never run right.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
Your mileage may vary, but in my experience a 4.25" tends to be less fussy than a 4.0". Both a Springfield Champion and Kimber Pro Carry I had were reliable with certain mags but not others. With one exception every Colt Commander I owned didn't care what mags I used. That one exception was a factory lemon that wouldn't even feed ball reliably as it had an over-cut feed ramp.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Smaller than a commander, but all four of my Sig 1911's Ultras have been flawless with a variety of ammo (FMJ, JHP, +P) and mags. Very good fit and finish. Best value out there under $1k.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
The Colt Commander I bought new about 18 months ago has a little over 5K rounds through it and has never failed.

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
All of my Commanders in .45 have been fine with a wide variety of ammo including 200gr cast SWC. With non .45 Commander size pistols (10mm, 9mm, 38 Super) I have mainly shot FMJ.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of the 3 1911's you mentioned, and my Springfield Compact has been 100%. I trust it over my Colt XSE LW Commander when using JHP ammo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My favorite Commander length 1911 is a S&W scandium E Series.
I have everything, including, Colt Sig, Springfield, Kimber, Baer Ect.
The Smith is light, shoots straight, and always goes bang.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts