1911Forum banner

Least finicky commander

1K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  GLI45 
#1 ·
Which reasonably priced commander (Colt and down) is, in the experience of those wiser than me, the least finicky with a wide range of ammo including +P loads? Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I've never had issues with any commander 1911, they are equal in reliability to government models. It's when you start going smaller than commander size that you start seeing issues, hence I only own the government and commander sized 1911's nothing smaller.

#4 ·
I don't have a problem with my .45 ACP commanders. My 10 mm is a bit touchy.

#10 ·
Hi, How many rounds to you get out of your 38s recoil spring before it needs changing?

C.A.

#9 ·
Since I quit buying gun show reload ammo, I have never had another issue with any 45 ACP or 9 mm. I buy what ever the store has, load it in any gun and it goes bang. You must remember one round a year is not considered an issue, it's called the human factor.

#14 ·
Your mileage may vary, but in my experience a 4.25" tends to be less fussy than a 4.0". Both a Springfield Champion and Kimber Pro Carry I had were reliable with certain mags but not others. With one exception every Colt Commander I owned didn't care what mags I used. That one exception was a factory lemon that wouldn't even feed ball reliably as it had an over-cut feed ramp.

#17 ·
The Colt Commander I bought new about 18 months ago has a little over 5K rounds through it and has never failed.

#21 ·
It's funny you mention that.

My EDC is a S&W Scandium PD with factory laser grips.

#23 ·
You might want to take a look at an STI Guardian. I've had one for almost about 8 years ands it's been as reliable as the sunrise. Very accurate, excellent trigger, and it runs smooth as butter. I've never experienced any ammo problems and, with the exception of wadcutters, I've shot all kinds of FMJ and HP ammo. STI makes some really fine 1911s.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.