1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to supply my wife's .357 with some more .38 practice rounds.

Which bullet will be the most comfortable for her to shoot (least recoil)...

heavy or light?

Thanks.

Robb M.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Recoil is a function of both the bullet weight and the powder load. One way to get an indication of recoil is to look at the manufacturers data. Pick a cartridge that has the least muzzle energy.

Hankster.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Try buying some .38 Special Wadcutter target loads. These are usually ~148 grains traveling in the vicinity of 700-750 fps. They are very mild, not very loud, and extremely accurate in many revolvers. When I want work on accuracy, trigger control, flinch, etc., I reach for these. When introducing a new shooter to revolvers, I use these.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I load 148gr double ended wad cutters with 3.1grs to 3.4grs of W231 or 3.0grs of Red Dot for the wife.

I crimp the Wad Cutters at the top lube grove leaving a little of the head exposed.

Also I ended up buying 3 differents sets of rubber grips for her to try because she was having trouble getting her finger on the trigger.

With the rubber grips and the wad cutters in her 4 inch model 66, She's finally happy.

Being married isn't easy.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
The first step in calculating recoil energy is determine the mass of the ejecta (bullet & powder) and the velocity of each.

Reduce the mass or velocity and the recoil energy will go down.

A fast powder and a light bullet ay low velocity (148 gr. HBWC) is a good starting point.

HBWCs are normally a swaged 100% lead bullet, and should not be fired at much more than about 800-900 ft/s or it will lead the barrel.
The recoil is about as low as you are likely to find.

Use .357 cases instead of .38 special to avoid building up lead and residue in the chamber in front of the shorter .38 special case.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Light weight bullets in minimal powder loads would be the best for recoil-sensitive shooters. A better suggestion might be to buy several loads and weighted bullets and let her tell you which load she feels comfortable with -- you might be surprised as to what she considers best for her....Good Luck

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All things generalized, look's like a lighter bullet.

Not able to find a source of .38's in Denver that offer a selection without
being so dang overprice.

Currently going through our mail-order supply of PMC 138grn. Plenty of smoke!!

Thanks for you help.

Robb M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts