1911Forum banner

leather holster leaving marks on ss.

1127 3
this is weird. and i had no idea where to post this, so i ask here.

i have a dan wesson patriot commander bobtail. 2 tone stainless. brush sides, matte top and bottom.

im using a milt sparks summer special II IWB holster on a daily basis for carry.

im getting two distinct lines on the top of my slide on either side of my front sight all the way back.

im guessing this is from the sight groove of the holster. it looks like rust but it isnt.

how do i get rid of this???
i work on tile floors and used part of a high polish buffing pad and hopps to no avail. im trying to get rid of it without marring the slide.

any help is greatly appreciated.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Might not be able to.

Carrying a handgun marks the finish on every handgun. This is normal and unless it rusts there's not much to worry about. I know that's no consolation when you want your pistol to look as good as its hoots, but with stainless I really don't know how to get rid of that. I just re-blue mine. Obviously not stainless. Like I told a guy at work who bought a Springer a while back, if you've had your pistol a year and it's still pretty, you're not using it right.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
This is a sign that a sharp part of your pistol is tearing your holster. I usually use a rag with some gun oil on it to get rid of leather that has been rubbed onto the stainless slide and/or frame. A little oil and the leather marks come off. I also wax stainless slides and frames with Renaissance Wax. The wax application will keep the leather away from the steel.

I would also check your slide for anything that feels rough by running your hand over it. I would pay special attention to the front sight and to the ejection port. It is possible that a rough edge on your pistol is digging into the leather on the draw stroke or reholster stroke, causing the leather to "stick up" and drag on your pistol. I have noticed that the leading edge of dust covers and slide stops can also create this issue.

· Registered
114 Posts
SS actually scratches pretty easily. I know several people who had their SS carry guns hard chromed to keep them from scratching. The matte finish areas can be bead blasted to get rid of the holster marks, but they'll just come back. As 1911guy stated, a " work" gun isn't going to stay pretty vrey long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.