1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of neglect I’m dragging out my leather holsters and wiping them down with neatsfoot oil. There still playable, not stiff or hard yet but I want them a tad softer. My leather hip holsters and leather shoulder holsters are getting attention. Just some Christmas time maintenance, every year at this time I take everything out of the safe, give it a wipe down and silicone treatment and put them asleep again.

Happy Holidays, enjoy the season.:rock:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Soft (quality) holsters are not good holsters. Wipe them down with Renaissance wax.

They will still be light years softer than Kydex holsters.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
You could get away with that on shapeless leather holsters, but all your modern molded holsters should not be oiled for reasons stated above.

I have freshened they up with shoe polish before, as well as Turner slings dressing.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Milt Sparks recommends Renaissance Wax, I've used it for years.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You have room in the safe for Holsters, lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,436 Posts
Saddle soap and "neutral" shoe polish.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
+1. If you haven't discovered Ren Wax yet, you should. You'll find a ton of uses for it and a can will last you forever...so don't let the price scare you away.

Beyond that I would be very careful with what you treat holsters with. Anything that makes them softer is no bueno IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
I have a can of this but never used it on holsters. What does it do to them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not only does the information apply to holsters but some leather boots and shoes as well. Especially if you're not interested in darkening the leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bought some old (80’s) IPSC holster rigs on ebay, one has some slight greenish oozing around rivets , saddle soap for them too ? I’ve never used that stuff before.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Yes, saddle soap for them too. That green stuff is called "verdi gris" (Latin for "green stuff") and it's caused by chemicals left in the leather from the tanning process reacting with the metal in the hardware. A small scrub brush and water will remove it. I would never ever use anything that can soften leather on a holster. Saddle soap contains lanolin which was present in the leather when it was on an animal and lanolin is what it needs - not oils or waxes. If you really want a soft holster then buy a nylon one. I would also never store leather hoksters in your gun safe. They will absorb and hold moisture and cause your guns to rust. Store them away from your guns.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've never put anything on my holsters except Kiwi Neutral Paste. They still look like new. But I have heard that everyone that has used it likes the Renaissance Wax.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Having been a shine boy when I was a preteen, saddle soap and neutral kiwi shoe polish are best. Make sure you use a soft brush when soaping up. Wipe with a soft cloth. Allow to dry then polish French style, rub fast and hard to build up the heat and get the wax to melt into the leather.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts