1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone shoot cast bullets from the Lee 45acp 230gr molds? How do they compare to 230gr plated or FMJ rounds? I am going to use 5gr of Bullseye with CCI300 primers, so, nothing too hot.

2) Since I do not yet have casting equipment, is there a reseller who sells bullets based on these moulds?

3) How do they compare with Meiester 230gr RN lead bullets? Again, I am going for 5gr of Bullseye or 5.6gr of Unique.

Lee 230gr RN bullets

Meister Hardcast 230gr RN bullets

Regards,

-Warlock

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Looks like you have the Tumble Lube design. Perfect for use with Rooster Jacket lube.

If you have a conventional lubrisizer, then get the mold WITHOUT the "TL" in the model number.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got a five gallon bucket full of these- around 10 thousand- I just bought a six cavity mold and can make around 800 per hour- I've been using wheel weights (free) they seem to smoke less than conventional cast bullets but they have been leading more- I have been just shooting a few jacketed bullets just before cleaning and clean more often- the leading may be due to the alloy i'm using. I needed a lot of rounds cheap and I have been happy with the accuracy. Can't complain for $25 per thousand for loaded rounds. I dont size the bullets but I use a Lee Factory Crimp die that sizes the loaded round as it crimps the bullet so 100% of the rounds go into my sizing gauge- definately the way to go.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
As a side note, you can use the tumble lube bullet in a standard lubrisizer. I ran a bunch of the TL SWC bullets through my RCBS lubrisizer and it worked quite well.

I doubt if any commercial caster is going to use the TL mould design.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Walking Point said:
As a side note, you can use the tumble lube bullet in a standard lubrisizer. I ran a bunch of the TL SWC bullets through my RCBS lubrisizer and it worked quite well.

I doubt if any commercial caster is going to use the TL mould design.
You can? How well? This is interesting.

Does the TL bullet hold the same quantity of lubrication (cumulatively) as a bullet with the conventional groove arrangement?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Leads from the chamber end of the barrel just in front of the chamber. The bullets are completely covered in the lube and it is a little sticky so the loaded rounds arnt the cleanest after you just throw them together in a bag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts