1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a new Stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag.

I also picked up a Lee 240 Grain gas check bullet mold. The gun shoots great with this bullet, but I am wondering if the tumble lube version will work (without a gas check of course) with higher powered cast bullet loads without leading issues.

The gas checks add more to my cost of loading 44mag- a box of gas checks are over $40. I burn through bullets pretty fast as I am a frequent shooter. Im thinking about getting a FreeChex gas check making tool, but If I can forgo the gas checks all together then that would be a better route.

Id like to hear some input & experiences from other 44 bullet casters who use the Lee 240 SWC grain tumble lube mold, and load them stout in 44 magnum. I use Alox/Xlox for all my bullet lube & sizing them at .430"

I know I can use the mold for mild loads - but that aint a 44 mag to me anymore..lol.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I usually keep my cast loads down to 1,000-1100fps, I carry my pistol while hiking and working in the woods, and found reduced loads might not be as manly, but work for what there needed for. I did occasionally load up a few boxes of hotter loads to practice with for hunting season, just run a brush through the barrel more often. I use Lee TL molds for 5 different handgun calibers now and need to pick up a couple more. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have this mold and the bullet didn't like being driven too hard. I reserve this bullet for light plinker loads. For hunting loads, they weren't all that accurate for me, I'd not hunt past 50yds with them, where's as other bullets to include the 310gr mold from lee, are performers out to 150yds.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
A close friend is a serious revolver guy and an equally serious reloader and bullet caster and has had no luck with any of the tumble lube bullets at anything much over 900 fps and definitely nothing close to magnum loads in .357 and .44-poor accuracy and a lot of leading at the higher velocities. In his opinion they're just OK for target/midrange loads but that's about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts