1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on here suggested the Lee 50th Anniversary kit to get going with reloading. Looking at it online, it *really* looks like a good deal. Is it all it's cracked-up to be? I assume the kit doesn't come with any actual dies obviously but even so it's still pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If you own nothing and know nothing about reloading, it's a nice kit. It even comes with a Hodgdon load manual. Just add dies and components. It's probably the cheapest way to find out if reloading is for you.
I'd hate to buy a Dillon and lose interest in 3 months. One of my friends did that. Eventually his wife put the XL650 on the sidewalk on trash day while he was at work. Now it's gone.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice wife. Very selfish.

If you own nothing and know nothing about reloading, it's a nice kit. It even comes with a Hodgdon load manual. Just add dies and components. It's probably the cheapest way to find out if reloading is for you.
I'd hate to buy a Dillon and lose interest in 3 months. One of my friends did that. Eventually his wife put the XL650 on the sidewalk on trash day while he was at work. Now it's gone.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm using the same press, scale, and powder measure that comes with that anniversary kit, and I am pleased. It is perfectly adequate for light reloading, on pistol and small rifle cartridges (the largest I load is .308 at the moment, I would imagine that resizing a .300 win mag or larger case would cause some substantial press flex) I just got into reloading about a month ago, and am already loading about 100 rds. a week, and am getting average sub-MOA groups, out of a rifle that was struggling to get right at half-MOA on factory match loads, and I haven't even found my best load yet! Every batch seems to be better than the last.
The only part of the kit I am unhappy with is the Lee Safety Scale. It works fine, but it's very finicky and weighing is very tedious. I'm saving for a digital. Other than that, go for it!

BTW - Get a real reloading manual with the kit if you're a beginner. The included data manual doesn't explain anything, it's just some load data with Hodgdon powders.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Lee kit with Breech Lock press.

I like it a lot.

For 100$, the Lee kit is hard to beat. Scale is probably the weakest link of the kit. Also, Perfect Powder is very cheap, but I have had good consistency with it. I cranked down the screw and get consistent measures.

The RCBS single stage kit is ~250$ and has a lot of the same pieces, albeit in RCBS durability.

Some of the Lee stuff is flimsy and precision is not as nice as high dollar press kits. Every brand has good/bad, even Dillon.

Pro 1000 is fast and cheap. But lots of shortcuts. I may replace, in time, with Hornady LnL AP. I have gone back to priming by hand. Too many bad loads with priming on press. I tend to either not push hard enough or mangle the primer.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea first thing I'm going to do before I load anything is upgrade the scale to a digital and get a high quality tumbler. Any suggestions? I don't want to skimp here.

I have the Lee kit with Breech Lock press.

I like it a lot.

For 100$, the Lee kit is hard to beat. Scale is probably the weakest link of the kit. Also, Perfect Powder is very cheap, but I have had good consistency with it. I cranked down the screw and get consistent measures.

The RCBS single stage kit is ~250$ and has a lot of the same pieces, albeit in RCBS durability.

Some of the Lee stuff is flimsy and precision is not as nice as high dollar press kits. Every brand has good/bad, even Dillon.

Pro 1000 is fast and cheap. But lots of shortcuts. I may replace, in time, with Hornady LnL AP. I have gone back to priming by hand. Too many bad loads with priming on press. I tend to either not push hard enough or mangle the primer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thummler Tumbler gets high praises.

I got a Lyman. Works great for me. I went to Wal-Mart for an appliance timer. I didn't find one to my liking. But I think it would be handy for the tumbler. Those things are loud.

My daughter helps me sort out the media from the brass.

Not sure on digital scales. Lots of complaints on all of the them for a 260$ product. I think a good Vernier(???) scale is a must have at least as a backup. Nice to have a powder thrower. RCBS Uniflow gets pretty good reviews for a powder dropper. Dillon, RCBS, Hornady are all pretty good scales. I think the Dillon was 50$ for a while.

Got the RCBS powder trickler. Handy for caffeinated gents.

My Dillon .45ACP gage just showed up today. Handy little tool.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am also in the market for a digital scale. So far, all of the reviews that I have found, and people I've talked to all recommend the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Later on down the line, you can buy the Chargemaster dispenser (like a powder measure, but you digitally punch in the desired charge, and it dispenses it for you, either into a pan, OR , into a scale - and the Chargemaster 1500 scale is made for it, fits perfectly in front of it). Although this setup is quite spendy, I'll likely never own one.
I am saving for a Lyman desktop (forgot model number) scale. It is on the cheap side, but hey, I'm on the poor side ;) The more expensive RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale (appx. $100) is in the same neighborhood, and from all the reviews and recommendations, the cheaper Lyman model is just as good.
I almost had a RCBS 505 beam scale that someone was going to trade to me for $25 + a set of RCBS .308 FL dies, but it didn't happen when they showed up with a black painted scale rather than the RCBS green one - never know what could've happened to that ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts