1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. If you had to recommend a Lee product to a reloading newbie, which would you suggest? Don't want to get the pistol kit, as rifle reloading may be in my future. Don't want to buy a Dillon; it's too pricey right now.

The anniversary kit or the deluxe turret press kit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i would go with the deluxe turrett press that way u don't have to change yer die everytime u want to do a differnt set step. turrett press are alot quicker. that would be my choice

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another vote for the turret press. Get the four hole model with auto index. My old three hold turret has done thousands of rounds in all the calibers I load and I have never had a problem. Sure, Dillon et all are better made, you can pass them on to your grandchildren, etc. But that wasn't your question.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just purchased the Lee 4 hole turret press with auto index. I have loaded about 100 rounds with it so far and am very pleased. I got the press kit which comes with auto disk powder measure and powder scale plus some other misc. small tools. With carbide dies for .45acp and 9mm and factory taper crimp for both I forked out $180 plus s+h from Midway. You can't beat a deal like that. I to would like to have bought Dillan, but who can afford the stuff, it must be made of gold or something?

Mark

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Another vote for the turret press.

I prefer to use a 3-hole version since attempting to deprime/prime with this unit is a total pain due to having to handle each primer individually.

I deprime with a single stage press, although you could easily deprime on the Lee after removing the auto-index function (takes 10 seconds at most). Priming is handled with an RCBS hand priming unit.

I've found it to be a pain to have an open hole on the turret, so for that reason I recommend the 3-hole version.

If you don't mind the priming process that lee intends you to use, then the 4-hole unit would be best.

The auto-disk powder measure is very nice, but unless you have the "super deluxe" version, make sure you never overtighten the hopper screws. Winchester 231 drops very well through this measure. Using a Lee factory crimp die with handgun rounds is a good idea both for the resizing feature and the settling action it provides for the powder in the measure.

Although I figured the handle would break off of this press in short order, it's loaded around 75,000 rounds without requiring any parts replacement.

Extended full length resizing of rifle cases could end up being more than this press can handle, but I've only loaded a minimum amount of rifle ammo on my turret press.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do the Lee Turret press and you will be happy! I wish I would have started with this press at the beginning. It caters most to those who reload pistol and multi calibers. I use all four turrets for the pistol(auto disk, sizer, seater, crimper) However, I use the sizer like a single stage press and size in batches as well as hand prime. After sized and primed I put the rod back in and start pumping out rounds with the auto index installed.
With the rifles I have three of the four holes filled with the sizer, seater, and rifle charging die. Do the same opertion as above, but no crimp.
In addition you save alot of time by not having to reseat and measure all the dies in your collection, just switch out turrets.
The only thing I foresee breaking on the press is the table it is on. I had a challenger press toggle break ($3.00), but the turret press requires much less pressure to size and seat.
I am positive that if you research the forum you will find our in depth past discussions on Lee equipment.

[This message has been edited by Gargoyle (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Isn't that open 4th hole a pain when you start cranking out rounds?

Until I got the separate crimp dies, I couldn't stand having that open station on even the 3 hole turret. Probably just a matter of personal preference but I personally see no advantage to the 4 hole turret since you can stick 3 sizing dies on a single spare turret and be set for 3 calibers as long as you batch size and hand prime.

I guess the 3 hole press will be a thing of the past pretty soon anway so it won't matter. I wish I had discovered the turret press years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts