1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with certain bullets.I have a four turret press that works great with most 45 cal. lead bullets but the factory crimp die grabs certain brands of bullets and creates a strong resistance.I've eliminated some brands but its happened with several different brands and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a solution? THANKS!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Are you sure it's not your bell? If it hangs when your round first enters the die, it could be natural resistance to size the case. Too big of a bell could cause this, and perhaps you're belling more for certain bullets.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Would be possible that the lube from the bullet is building up inside the die? You did not mentioned whether you are using cast lubed or moly bullets. If it is the case you might need clean the excess lube from the die time to time. Another possibility would be you have some bullets with oversized diameter. The resistance for roll crimp will be noticeable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can you back off the amount of "flair" or bell you are putting in your brass to accept your bullets? Also that drag you fell is because the LFCD is doing its job on a "fat" case:eek: I use LFCD's on all of my reloading set ups and think they are the best there is.:rock:
Respectfully,
LG

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
The thickness of the brass walls varies between different brands of cases. Thicker brass coupled with a larger diameter lead bullet can create more resistance when post sizing in the FCD.

If you load enough mixed brass, you'll eventually find some thin walled stuff that will go in and out of the FCD without any resistance.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The thickness of the brass walls varies between different brands of cases. Thicker brass coupled with a larger diameter lead bullet can create more resistance when post sizing in the FCD.

If you load enough mixed brass, you'll eventually find some thin walled stuff that will go in and out of the FCD without any resistance.
yes, I have ran into this as well. It is funny to run mixed brass, and have some go in and out easy, and some having more resistance. I love the FCD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's the way it's supposed to work!

Not only does the FCD crimp the rounds, but it also sizes the round too. Thick brass + oversize bullet = resistance. The only "solution" is to seat and crimp in the same die and not resize, or you can get another seater/crimper die and seat in one die with the crimper backed out, and crimp with the next one with the seater backed out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Personally, I don't believe it's a good idea to use the FCD with cast bullets. That's where much of the hang up occurs, plus when I load 45ACP cast, I found the bullets were being re-sized. Didn't make much sense to me to buy bullets sized to .452 and then re-size them to .4515-.451.
Bronson7

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Personally, I don't believe it's a good idea to use the FCD with cast bullets. That's where much of the hang up occurs, plus when I load 45ACP cast, I found the bullets were being re-sized. Didn't make much sense to me to buy bullets sized to .452 and then re-size them to .4515-.451.
Bronson7
So why not just buy .451 lead bullets instead of .452? I know. Stupid question, right?

People do a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense, like crimp the living hell out their finished rounds and deform the bullet in the process.

I've never had any problems directly attributed to a Lee FCD, so I'll keep taking my chances. If I run into any problems that I can definitely trace back to it, I'll stop using it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So why not just buy .451 lead bullets instead of .452? I know. Stupid question, right?

People do a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense, like crimp the living hell out their finished rounds and deform the bullet in the process.

I've never had any problems directly attributed to a Lee FCD, so I'll keep taking my chances. If I run into any problems that I can definitely trace back to it, I'll stop using it.
Kevin, not a stupid question at all. That was my point. A lot of folks like the FCD. I don't like to use it with cast bullets but I like the way it removes my bell, so I ordered an FCD WITHOUT the sizing ring.
Bronson7

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Kevin, not a stupid question at all. That was my point. A lot of folks like the FCD. I don't like to use it with cast bullets but I like the way it removes my bell, so I ordered an FCD WITHOUT the sizing ring.
Bronson7
I was being a little silly there, since lead bullets can be had many more under or oversizes than FMJ or plated.

The whole point of the FCD though, is the post sizing feature to produce uniformly sized ammo that does not exceed the maximum dimension of the FCD for that caliber. An FCD without the sizing ring is basically nothing more than a standard taper crimp die. I'm sure it's cheaper from Lee, but standard taper crimp dies are also offered by other die makers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Kevin, I agree. I've found the FCD much easier to adjust for an accurate case mouth diameter. I have a Redding taper crimp die, but prefer the adjustment control that the FCD offers. Just a matter of preference.
Bronson7

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What exactly is the advantage of the FCD and what would happen if I didn't use it? I know some Lee presses only have three dies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts