1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, and it's great. Haven't had a round fail to fully chamber since I started using it. It was recommended to me to solve that problem.

Dave

·
Registered
861 Posts
I use one for 45ACP, 9mm, and 44 Mag. I like'em all. Just got 38/357 dies and a factory crimp die for those calibers, also.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
What they said... I use the Lee FC die for all my reloads. It works great!

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently got Lee Factory Crimping Dies.I've been loading Berry's 200gr. FP's. After seating the bullet and crimping with my Hornady die, I found the sizing ring in the Lee die actually made the bullet loose to the point where I could push it into the case with little effort. Actually, the bullets shot fine with just the crimp from the Hornady die.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Lee fc die is probably the biggest advancement in reloading in the past decade. I bought my first one in .40 S&W. Needless to say I now have one for every auto pistol round that I load and I reload most of 'em. Good buy for twice the money!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I gave the carbide factory crimp die for handgun cartridges a try in my 550B for the 45 ACP. Nothing wrong with it, but I saw no difference between using it and using the Dillon crimp die.

I am not sure, though, that this was a fair test. The idea of the handgun factory crimp die is to size the entire cartridge down so that it will reliably function in any chamber that is within SAAMI specs.

I wasn't having any chambering or accuracy problems, and I use only one kind of case -- Starline +P -- that is trimmed, primer pocket uniformed, and flash hole deburred before the first firing.

In case anyone is curious, I have four Kimbers and one Colt in which my 45 ACP ammo must function. I haven't had a malfunction with any of these handguns in over 3,000 cumulative rounds.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got a dillon F.C. die for my 9mm and a RCBS taper crimp die for my.45 I'don't see much difference, and I don't think there's a lot of difference between the three lee,rcbs,dillon,they all basically all do the same thing,the important thing here is that you are crimping in a different opreation, instead of trying to seat/crimp at the same time,by crimping seperatly you will eliminate most, if not all of your feeding problems, I do it with ALL of my handgun ammo now,

·
Registered
259 Posts
I gauge 100% of my pistol reloads, 9mm, 38Super and 45. I used to have 10% or more that would not gauge, mostly on the 38S but some also with the other calibers. Since I started using the Lee Factory Crimp Die this problem has been eliminated. When I do have a round that will not gauge I simply run it back through the crimping station and it will then gauge. It is not intended to be the primary sizing die, but to catch those that for whatever reason will not gauge the first time. Sometimes I have had to leave them in the die for a couple of minutes before the case would "set" permanently but this beats pulling the bullet by a wide margin!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts