1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per many rave reviews, I got a Lee FCD from eBay pretty cheap. Upon receipt, I looked at its mouth and scratched my head. I took one complete round out and put it in the die. It barely slid in. ok, how about a case with a flare? So, I made one round with a bullet seated (230RN) and took it off from the stage. The flare of the case hit the die mouth and the round did not go in at all:mummy: The flare is pretty minimum just to hold a bullet on it.

I then read the instruction manual states that I should close the flare in my seating die.... What??

Am I doing something wrong or did I get something that does not work on XL650 with a Dillon seating die?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the four die set for 45ACP. First die resizes and decaps the primer. The second die flares the case and drops powder. The third die seats the bullet. The fourth die, the FCD, irons out the case (if out of spec) and removes the flare using a taper crimp.

I'm curious, how much flare are you using? For what it's worth I still lube my cases even though the dies are carbide.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
I've never had refusal.

First, let's check the marking on the die to make sure they sent the right one.
Then measure it to see what it measures at the die mouth, mine is just less
than 0.490" at the mouth -- I know it's hard to measure right at the bevel
but check that first to see. The carbide ring extends about 0.310" into the body
and tapers down to about 0.471" at that point. But 0.490" +/- at the mouth
should allow the case to enter.

I think the mark on mine says LEE 45ACP A6.

If those dimensions are OK, I know you state that your flare is minimal,
but it may be useful to take a second look at it anyway.
When my flare passes the die mouth, it doesn't even slow down.
I feel the resistance in the handle and it goes 'Snick' as
the flare passes into the die. But no refusal.

Check those things out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

Nick A - Thanks as usual.

"45ACP" is stamped on the die body. I cannot read the last two letter... The measurement at the die mouth (very hard to measure it right) is 0.490~0.500, and the ID of the carbide ring is 0.471. The diameter at the flare is currently approx 0.491 (the case diameter + 0.02) and 0.471~ 0.472 is what I get through Dillon's standard taper crimp die. So, the flare hits the taper section of the carbide ring. Should I just slam it in?? Rounds must be centered against the die pretty well.

I could reduce the flare more but it would be very difficult to seat bullets by my shaky hand. What is the diameter with the right amount of flare for LFCD?

I like the resizing function that LFCD offers so in the worst case, I might add it to the press as my 5th stage, after Dillon's standard taper crimp die. Good idea?

Cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
use it as the final crimp die. use a seating die only before it. if you have a combo seating die and crimping, back it out till it only seat the bullet and lightly remove the flair and let the FCD do the final crimp. have dont it this way on thousands of rounds with no issues

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
The OP's setup is different.

jaep1911 needs extra flare to set his bullets, the extra flare won't enter the FCD.
So his solution is to use the Dillon taper crimp die to partially close the crimp,
then advance to the FCD for the final crimp and finish. Good!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
use it as the final crimp die. use a seating die only before it. if you have a combo seating die and crimping, back it out till it only seat the bullet and lightly remove the flair and let the FCD do the final crimp. have dont it this way on thousands of rounds with no issues
This is a very good option. Many reloaders do it this way. Id say some may not even realize that the seating die is removing a small amount of flair.

I would try this. I never use a station unless necessary. You may choose to use a lockout die at some point.:)

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Isn't it a great thing that we use the Lee FCDs on presses, and don't depend on whether we can manually insert a loaded round into one as a measure of the FCD's effectiveness? :eek:

Try seating a bullet off the press. ;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Nick A - Thanks as usual.

"45ACP" is stamped on the die body. I cannot read the last two letter... The measurement at the die mouth (very hard to measure it right) is 0.490~0.500, and the ID of the carbide ring is 0.471. The diameter at the flare is currently approx 0.491 (the case diameter + 0.02) and 0.471~ 0.472 is what I get through Dillon's standard taper crimp die. So, the flare hits the taper section of the carbide ring. Should I just slam it in?? Rounds must be centered against the die pretty well.

I could reduce the flare more but it would be very difficult to seat bullets by my shaky hand. What is the diameter with the right amount of flare for LFCD?

I like the resizing function that LFCD offers so in the worst case, I might add it to the press as my 5th stage, after Dillon's standard taper crimp die. Good idea?

Cheers
The LFCD is designed to perform its function independently
While its “possible” to use it as a seat/crimp die in various applications, this is less than desirable for what should be obvious reasons if you have examined the die.

What most folks in your situation do is as mentioned above, size/de-prime – prime, flare/charge, powder cop check if using one, seat, and then crimp.

If you are having to use an extra amount or over flare condition due to a unique bullet and are having problems getting the case mouth to enter a standard seating die, consider going to a Dillon seated die.
The Dillon dies have “extremely” large openings at the mouth of the die for easy entry of the cartridge.
I can’t imagine a flare that would not enter one, no matter what the setting, if you are having a problem with entry or case straightening of the case mouth the die is likely set incorrectly for this to happen.

If you have the seating die adjusted correctly it should be straightening out the case mouth enough to provide entry into the crimp die (regardless of crimp die used)

The Dillon seater (and most any other seater for that matter) is designed to straighten out the flare of the case mouth as part of the seating process.
(On most seater’s that are combo dies, the crimping function can be dialed in as well if desired.)

So, if you use the Dillon seater then all you should have to do is cycle to the next station and crimp with the LFCD set to you desired amount.
You should not have to operate “two” separate crimping functions to get these cartridges assembled correctly.

On your 650, the most direct configuration should look something like this.
Station 1 Size/de-prime – prime
Station 2 flare/ powder charge
Station 3 (powder check and or lock-out die if using one)
Station 4 seat bullet
Station 5 standard crimp and or apply LFCD

Good Luck :)

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
I can’t imagine a flare that would not enter one, no matter what the setting,
Uh, Gerk, theoretically, just theoretically of course, if one was to have a .357 mag case under the powder drop of a Dillon powder measure adjusted for .38 special, it's theoretically possible to over-bell the case to the extent the case will not fit in the seating die, crimp die, or deprime die. Theoretically of course, one would have to use pliers or vise jaws to attempt to re-round the case enough to enter the deprime die, so the primer could be salvaged.

The above is theoretical of course. I would never do such a thing. :)

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
force!

I break all kinds of parts on my 650: I squash cases; I mash bullets :dope:

Oh yes I do.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. I am using a Dillon seating die at stage 4 (I had started with Dillon standard configuration) and it does seem to remove some of the flare but the sample rounds did not go in the LFCD. Yes, both Dillon seating and crimp die have a large opening and I have never had any difficulty getting rounds in them.

I will try to reduce the flare a bit and see how it goes.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am using a Dillon seating die at stage 4 (I had started with Dillon standard configuration) and it does seem to remove some of the flare but the sample rounds did not go in the LFCD. Yes, both Dillon seating and crimp die have a large opening and I have never had any difficulty getting rounds in them.

I will try to reduce the flare a bit and see how it goes.

Cheers
Lower your seating die down a little. Of course you'll have to adjust seating depth accordingly. As said above, this will remove some of the bell.

And of course you might have too much bell as others have said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts