1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I can save you a lot of reading simply by saying that for my $284 shipped to my door, it was way worth it. I was warned by many but for the money I had to try it. I couldn't find any online for sale used, which means either they work or people don't resell them and throw them in the trash.

Details: I bought it online from Titan Reloading, which must be right down the road from Lee in Hartford Wisconsin. They have a low online price of $240 or so, can't exactly remember. I added the case loader and had to pay shipping. At my door in three days. They include very well written instructions on how to set up and avoid all of the complaints that most people have, primers issues.

If you aren't somewhat mechanically inclined with an attention to detail I don't think you'll like the Lee, nor for that matter any progressive.

I later bought a universal de-capper and shell plate and priming parts for 357. So far I've loaded 3 different 45auto loads, switched over loaded 357 and then switched to 38 special. Total about 2500 rounds. The auto brass loader doesn't work well with 38 diameter brass, but with my 10 year old son placing a piece of brass in the proper spot, we were loading a round every 8 seconds.

The biggest problem is the primer arm but after I place the bullet onto the case I just slide my finger along side the primer arm and swing it into place as I pull the handle. Perfect every time.

My son is starting to shoot more with me and he has really gotten the hang of how this thing works. I won't let him be in charge for many years, but with his help and conversation we can really crank out the ammo. He said it was an amazing machine. He's watched me load thousands of rounds on a single stage and turret press so he definitely gets it.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps someone move onto progressive loading.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Not perfect like Dillon, but a low-cost alternative.

I favor Dillon, I have two. I also have two Loadmasters. One 40S&W/357Sig and one for 45acp. They all work.

The Loadmaster priming mechanism works perfectly for me. I never have trouble with it. Primer seating depth is adjustable and I get them seated just right every time. After tens of thousands of rounds, it can't be dumb luck. Keep it clean like you would a Dillon or Hornady.

The case feeder works great when it's new, as it gets older and a little worn it gets rather troublesome. It develops lots of friction and drag, until it breaks a plastic part. I keep spare parts now, when trouble first begins I stop and disassemble the case feeder to rebuild it entirely.

I swapped the pulldown chain on the powder measure to a bungee cord.

5 holes in the tool head, so you can seat and crimp in separate steps.

It's no Dillon, not even a Hornady. But otherwise it makes good ammo with only the case feeder trouble. If you feed cases by hand as you set a bullet, it's an excellent low cost alternative.

For those with a Lee P1000, the Loadmaster doesn't have the same problems. It's a completely different machine.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Lee Loadmaster.....

For those that are price conscious, IMHO the Lee Loadmaster is a better option than the Lee Pro 1000......

However, I have always looked at reloading equipment as an investment for my hobbies, and I believe the D550 with a lifetime no BS warranty is a better option for roughly $156 more...... my D550 is a workhorse and I load both rifle and pistol. When I want to develop a new load with different powders, I use my D550, and I prefer that it doesn't auto index the shell plate. Once the machine is set up and ready to start, I can load about 100 rounds in 15-20 minutes at an easy pace. For my competition loading when I make 200-300 rounds at a time, I use my D1050. I can make 200 rounds with my D1050 in 15 minutes and the D1050 primer swager is very helpful to smoothly make ammo without jams.....

I could never get consistent jam free performance with the Lee progressive presses I tried......

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Been there, done that with the Loadmaster. Selling it was the best reloading choice I've ever made.

I hope you have better luck than I had with mine. My thought is that if I have to take and provide an additional step to something to get it to work properly, there's a problem with it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've owned every lee press. The last being a loadmaster. I could load 500 rounds with no problems at all. then many problems for no reason. I gave up on the loadmaster and bought a Dillon 550. I'm not a Dillon fan boy or a lee hater but I'm glad I got rid of it. I still load 9mm on a older pro 1000. I would never get rid of this press. I'm just done with the tinkering to keep things running.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Don't insult fellow Forum members, Walter. If you don't like the machine, it's totally fair to say what you think. But insulting DC or any other member by accusing drug abuse is completely out of line.

Lee and all other equipment are open game. Members in good standing are not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Love my loadmaster. It is leaps and bounds better than the pro 1000. It's a intricate piece of machinery and some mechanical ability is rewarded when using and setting up this press.
If you don't have basic mechanical skills it can be frustrating. I have a feeling that a lot of people who put down lee equipment either based their opinion on the pro 1000 or are not mechanically inclined enough to understand how the loadmaster works. I am coming up on 15,000 rounds loaded with my loadmaster without any problems.

I ordered mine setup for 223 from Walmart.com. I think I paid $180. Which is an absolute steal in my book.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maybe it was closer to $200 but I don't think so.
Here it is for $246

For some reason my links keep getting changed. It was a link to Walmart but it sent you to Kmart.
Then I fixed it again and it sent me to optics planet. I have a feeling someone is messing with it somehow.

Anyways Walmart has them for 246. Just go to their website and search.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Any discussion about any press always ends up about Dillon.
Not always. That just seems what people move on to after problems with the Toadmaster.

I actually moved down to the Classic Turret after selling mine. Very happy with the Classic Turret and it served me well for many. Ultimately, my shooting volume outgrew my Classic Turret and I ended up buying a Dillon. Came within inches of buying a Hornady LnL though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
December 2014. It was 20% off and free shipping to my local store.
I've seen them around $240-260 price range. I will definitely keep an eye out for that 20% off if possible

Love my loadmaster. It is leaps and bounds better than the pro 1000. It's a intricate piece of machinery and some mechanical ability is rewarded when using and setting up this press.
If you don't have basic mechanical skills it can be frustrating. I have a feeling that a lot of people who put down lee equipment either based their opinion on the pro 1000 or are not mechanically inclined enough to understand how the loadmaster works. I am coming up on 15,000 rounds loaded with my loadmaster without any problems.
From reading & watching the latest videos, I do believe it's a good machinery once it's properly set up ofcourse. I truly don't think it is what people make it appeared to be such a bad press.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I think if you only want to load a couple thousand rounds, thre's no need to get a better-made press.

I bought my dillon 550 a couple years ago and have loaded 30k or so rounds on it. Seems worth a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Don't insult fellow Forum members, Walter. If you don't like the machine, it's totally fair to say what you think. But insulting DC or any other member by accusing drug abuse is completely out of line.

Lee and all other equipment are open game. Members in good standing are not.
It was a joke, of course! He disappeared! :) I loaded over 80k rounds on a Toadmaster before my doc cut off the Valium-:eek:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Any discussion about any press always ends up about Dillon.
You can't mention any press on here without tons of comments from the peanut gallery about Dillon. This thread was started as a lee loadmaster review and there are 8 or 9 responses that have nothing to do with the loadmaster and only talk about Dillon.

I think some people are mad that some of us are capable of using the lee equipment as it was meant to be used.

If you use and like Dillon equipment great. Start your own thread. This one is about the lee loadmaster.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I haven't disappeared. Just sitting back reading rude comments and watching bad behavior. From some of the high post numbers it looks like some people just sit and wait for others to exercise their first amendment rights then do their best to make fun of them.

Once again, mankind has made me love my dog even more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts