1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Dillon 650 and I think I read somewhere that Lee will have their primer system available for other presses. Will this work on the Dillon. I always thought that Lee priming system was better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Denbo,

I'm not sure which Lee press you have, but the priming system on my so-called LoadMaster totally unimpressive. It was a great design, but so cheaply implemented. That thing found every way immaginable to destroy itself and the primers it was intended to feed. I finally gave up on the Lee, after a year, and bought the Dillon XL650 last month. After 2,000 reloads, I haven't seen a single problem with the 650 primer system. I really think you will be pleasantly surprised with the difference between your Lee and the 650. You will just have to experience it to beleive it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with Chazecon, when I do get my dillon there won't be a Lee part near it.. The one think that I can't stand about my loadmaster and my Turret is the priming systems! If Lee came out with a priming system for the LoadMaster that worked then I make think about giving Lee a second chance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own a Lee, or any press for that matter. I got into Bullseye this year and my uncle has been loading for me on his Loadmaster. I am moving next week and will have room for a press. He seems to love the Lee any cites the priming system as one of the things he likes better than the Dillons. I have SEEN both and the Lee did appear to be the better system. Then again I have limited reloading experience. He has been preaching the Lee to me for quite a while. I thought this was odd in that he seem to always buy the best/most expensive stuff when it concerns gun. I am looking into the 650 because I believe in buying the best and buying it ONCE! I will be loading only .45 now but want to keep my rifle options open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pending on what part of PA your in you can get the 650 without the case feeder for 415 and with it its 571. Just thought I would let you know.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Lee system (which is dangerous; I have had the whole tray of primers explode in my face) is completely different from the Dillon. I can't imagine how it could be adapted. I can imagine even less why anyone would want to screw up the fine Dillon priming system.

[This message has been edited by KLN (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
651 Posts
I could never get the primer feeder on the LoadMaster(that plastic finger that sweeps the primer into place) to work. Kept breaking that finger and the plastic flipper would give me a hard time too. Got a Dillon 550 and just love the way it works, especially the primer feeding system- right up front with easy access. I do use the Lee dies though but sold the rest.

[This message has been edited by wildbill (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
458 Posts
First -- YOU ARE JOKING, RIGHT ?

The priming system on the various models of Dillon's presses are each different... I've heard of problems with the Dillon Square-Deal primer mechanism... but none on the 650.

The best (IMHO) of all Dillon primer systems is on their 650 press -- Their commercial 1050 model may use the same or a similar system as used on the 650 -- no personal experience on the 1050...

Anyway, I only have one simple complaint with the 650 primer mechanism: It's just too dern fast!
It runs out of primers after only loading 100-rounds... which means every few minutes I have to stand up, take a 'stretch' break, and load in another 100-primers.

No jams -- AND NO EXPLOSIONS EITHER !!! The 650 uses a wheel with holes cut in it to hold each primer separately from the others.

Doesn't get much better than this -- it just works, every time, all the time. --CC

[This message has been edited by Capt_C (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a Dillon Squ. Deal B and reload 45acp and 9mm have never had a problem.
LEE is a good place to start(like we all have) so we can appreciate quality when we can afford it.

LIVE FREE OR DIE

[This message has been edited by shootingfarm (edited 12-03-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts