1911Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

· Registered
875 Posts
You may want to order a couple spares of the small square plastic ratchet drive (that the square part of the rod engages to rotate the turret). They pnly cost about a $, but would put idle you for a few days if one breaks. Cheap part to have on hand.

· Registered
4,702 Posts
Thanks Rusty! I'm going to give that a try.
There is a large black washer/spacer that needs to be used to gain the proper height for the primer plastic frame. I've put two together, and with that spacer used it places the primer dispenser directly in line and on top of the primer arm. I never had any trouble dispensing primers exactly where they need to be.

· Registered
2,122 Posts
I just think advising somebody to buy the hand primer without even trying the safety prime for the classic turret isn't the best advice.
Okay, but ... I never did that. However, you did write "A hand primer also defeats the purpose of how the classic turret operates," which clearly isn't correct, especially when you agreed with me "100%" that the Classic isn't designed solely to avoid hand priming or to simply crank out ammo as fast as possible. So it would seem that advising somebody that hand priming "defeats the purpose" of how the Classic turret operates isn't the best advice.

A priming system may work flawlessly, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best for every person. If you have as good or better of a feel for priming using the safety prime system, stick with it because you're doing what works best for you. However, I think it's important for the OP to know that hand priming is a perfectly valid choice if it works best for him. I would encourage him to first use the safety prime system to see how it works for him, and to modify it as has been described if he has issues. After all, since it's already part of the device, he's already paid for it. But I wouldn't discourage him from going to hand priming if he feels that will work better.

· Registered
33 Posts
The need for the mounting plate will be determined by your bench, or at least it was with mine. If I wanted to mount it permanently to my bench I would have had to drill pretty close to the edge of my bench. I didnt have to use the Lee mounting plate but its not a bad set up at all once I really looked at it. It will be nice to be able to swap presses in the future or as soon as I find anything else that works as well as Lees turret system. That is the best part of the Lee set up being able to change calibers without having to readjust dies.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
There is a large black washer/spacer that needs to be used to gain the proper height for the primer plastic frame. I've put two together, and with that spacer used it places the primer dispenser directly in line and on top of the primer arm. I never had any trouble dispensing primers exactly where they need to be.
Yes, mine has the black spacer installed under the bracket. I'm going to try adding the washer and see it that improves feeding. I'll know in the first 200 hundred rounds, which I'll load tomorrow.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Okay, but ... I never did that. However, you did write "A hand primer also defeats the purpose of how the classic turret operates," which clearly isn't correct, especially when you agreed with me "100%" that the Classic isn't designed solely to avoid hand priming or to simply crank out ammo as fast as possible. So it would seem that advising somebody that hand priming "defeats the purpose" of how the Classic turret operates isn't the best advice.

A priming system may work flawlessly, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best for every person. If you have as good or better of a feel for priming using the safety prime system, stick with it because you're doing what works best for you. However, I think it's important for the OP to know that hand priming is a perfectly valid choice if it works best for him. I would encourage him to first use the safety prime system to see how it works for him, and to modify it as has been described if he has issues. After all, since it's already part of the device, he's already paid for it. But I wouldn't discourage him from going to hand priming if he feels that will work better.
Yes and when I said the hand primer defeats the purpose I replied to this quote.

I'm a classic turret user. Forget about priming on the press. It sucks.... spend your money on a RCBS hand primer instead.
That's persons experience is far from the norm. Even you agree he should try the safety prime first and that's the same thing I said.

Originally Posted by RustyFN
I just think advising somebody to buy the hand primer without even trying the safety prime for the classic turret isn't the best advice.
So you agree with me but I'm giving bad advice?????

· Registered
940 Posts
I wish you could post a picture of this. I only got a black plastic clamp that bolts under the front-right support bolt of the press and the primer slips into this clamp. Should I put a washer under this black plastic clamp? Thanks...

· Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes and when I said the hand primer defeats the purpose I replied to this quote.
Actually, if you look again, you'll see you quoted my post, and so you were replying to my post, where I stated nothing of the kind.

So you agree with me but I'm giving bad advice?????
Again, if you look, I was referring to your comment that hand priming defeats the purpose of the Classic turret, not that he should try the safety prime system first.

At any rate, the OP wants info, not posts that criticize other posts. This is the last I'll say on the above two topics because they are a distraction from the purpose of the thread.

On a different topic, I wonder how people who reload rifle ammo can avoid removing cases from the machine in order to trim after resizing. Do people trim primered cases? I've never done that because I've always considered it too risky. But maybe it's not.

· Registered
4,702 Posts
I don't remember seeing a black washer either. I put a metal washer under mine and it works fine.

It is a black spacer. Probably a 1/4" thick our so. They also came with a silver washer that sits on top of the plastic. It's odd shaped. Fits the contours of plastic bracket. The first one I bought had this back in Feb of 06 when they first came out. The second one I got a couple of years back. Both from kempf. The first press I sold to a forum member.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
I still find it hard to see where you guys are having problems with something so simple to use and adjust, 300 rds an hour isn't a hard pace out of the LCT
300 rounds x 4 strokes per round = 1200 strokes per hour.
1200/60 = 20 strokes per minute
60 seconds/20 strokes = stroke every 3 seconds.

Pretty fast.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
If you add a washer under the bracket it will raise the safety prime and eliminate that problem. On a rare occasion some people will have to add two washers.
I went back and added a washer (roughly 1/32" to 1/16" thick) between the black spacer and plastic primer bracket. I did not have one primer pop out of the spring loaded priming cup for 201 rounds. That is a first! I think it did provide a little needed room as the LPS swings freer and it has a smoother motion when depressing the trigger.

Now, about the odd number of 201. I did find, quite unexpectedly, a "lost" pimer in the primer tray of the LSP that I can only assume was stuck in LSP trigger when I took the LSP out of its box today. I think it was stuck in there for several reloading sessions, but I have no idea how it could possibly do that.

About 4 weeks back, I came up short 1 small primer in a batch of 100 (I match cases to primers in multiple of 50s so that I can tell if I dropped a primer.) I looked about 20 minutes for it everywhere, including the LPS itself, primer waste tube, floor, etc. Never did find it. Took the primer tray off the LPS and shook it out good, but nothing. It was after this, I went to putting a box under the press to catch dropped primers.

Anyway, loaded 100 9mm yesterday and successfully matched 100 cases to 100 primers; nothing was left in the LPS as I shook it out again as I do when finishing. Today, I added the washer and wanted to test with 200 small primer 45acp and when I opened the box, there it was, loose in the LPS primer tray. :scratch:

Either way, the LPS has never worked better than with the washer, but I can't say with 100% certainty that the washer was THE fix. And I'm not taking the washer out, it's here to stay.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
I had counted primers in all my loading since the beginning until I got my LCT about two years ago. At that time I started just dumping a box of primers in the primer tray. I try to end up with it about half full. Then I store it in a Folgers coffee can. When I start again I put another box in when I take a break for some reason. I don't care if I have 50 or 100 because I almost never have a full box of 100 cases. I am not going to run out or ever get down to just a few primers that won't fall.
Bought a LnL AP a couple of months ago and had to go back to filling primer tubes. What a drag! Wish their primer system worked as well as the Lee Safety Prime.
When I first got it I had read about it being touchy if not set up correctly so I spent considerable time getting the plastic bracket aligned. I have never had any trouble with it. Probably about 10K of primers through it.

· Registered
4,702 Posts
300 rounds x 4 strokes per round = 1200 strokes per hour.
1200/60 = 20 strokes per minute
60 seconds/20 strokes = stroke every 3 seconds.

Pretty fast.
I agree. I think many folks load as fast as they can for two minutes, then multiply by thirty. And that's the rounds per hour count. If I did that on my dillons, I'd be loading 800-900/hr.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I went back and added a washer (roughly 1/32" to 1/16" thick) between the black spacer and plastic primer bracket. I did not have one primer pop out of the spring loaded priming cup for 201 rounds.
I'm glad that fixed it for you. Every problem I have seen with a classic turret seems to have an easy fix.

It is a black spacer. Probably a 1/4" thick our so. They also came with a silver washer that sits on top of the plastic. It's odd shaped. Fits the contours of plastic bracket. The first one I bought had this back in Feb of 06 when they first came out. The second one I got a couple of years back. Both from kempf. The first press I sold to a forum member.
Interesting. Were either of those PAD's older, say around six years. I don't remember seeing the black spacer but I am going to tear my bench apart to see if it's hidden someplace. Also I did put the odd shaped washer on top.

· Registered
212 Posts
I agree. I think many folks load as fast as they can for two minutes, then multiply by thirty. And that's the rounds per hour count. If I did that on my dillons, I'd be loading 800-900/hr.
Precisely what I was getting at above. In practicality, I average 100-120 per hour, and that includes an inspection of every round. I've caught a few discrepancies in my inspections that have necessitated re-doing or tossing the round.

· Registered
940 Posts
I re-checked my safety prime and saw that I needed to better line up mine with the primer cup so it would dump the primer more squarely. Once I made that adjustment, I was able to do 50 without dropping any. Nice. Thanks....

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
well I got the classic set today and some bullets and some tite group powder. The friendswood bullets are already lubed which I didn't realize.

Got the deluxe die set and the powder micrometer which most sources reccommended.

Now I just need to mount that bad boy on my bench and can start trying out some dummy loads.

I didn't get the caliper or a tumbler for the brass yet as I felt I had spent enough money already so we shall see how it goes. I will probably look into getting them next month.

Just need to go by the hardware store tomorrow to get some bolts and nuts and washers long enough to go through my bench.

· Registered
7,263 Posts
well I got the classic set today and some bullets and some tite group powder. The friendswood bullets are already lubed which I didn't realize.

Got the deluxe die set and the powder micrometer which most sources reccommended.

Now I just need to mount that bad boy on my bench and can start trying out some dummy loads.

I didn't get the caliper or a tumbler for the brass yet as I felt I had spent enough money already so we shall see how it goes. I will probably look into getting them next month.

Just need to go by the hardware store tomorrow to get some bolts and nuts and washers long enough to go through my bench.
You dont have to have a tumber, you can clean the brass with some lemishine and hot water. But you really should pick up a caliper. Even if it's a cheap digital for starters. Even your hardware store should sell them, home depot or lowes surely does. You're going to kinda need to know what your overall length is and also be able to check the crimp.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.