1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only load 45 ACP. Currently I use a Lee turret press. The timing gets off quite frequently due to a little plastic gear.
I have been thinking about purchasing a Dillion Square Deal B. Is this press far superior to the Lee or would I be getting basically the same thing?

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
Assuming that this isn't a joke (if it is, then you got me!), then my opinion is that anything made by Dillon is far superior to anything made by Lee, with the notable exception of dies.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
WalterGC said:
Assuming that this isn't a joke (if it is, then you got me!), then my opinion is that anything made by Dillon is far superior to anything made by Lee, with the notable exception of dies.
Ditto!

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I'd suggest you look at the RL550B for 50 bucks more instead of the Square Deal. Both are good machines but the SD only uses proprietary Dillon dies and the 550 can use any dies. The SD auto indexes but the working space above the shell plate is limited compared to the 550. Just MHO.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I own both a Square deal "B" and a 550b between the two, the 550 is the better machine, it does'nt auto index, but it does have alot more room around the shell plate for your hands, and, as was pointed out, the SDB uses it's own dies,that will only work in a SDB, the 550 will use anybody's dies, and has the ability to load rifle calibers as well, I only load 3 calibers on the SDB,(.44mag, .38, .357) and frankly, I'm going to buy conversion kits and use the 550,and probably sell the SDB, I'm loading 11 calibers on the 550,(.223,.22-250,.243,6.5x55,.270,.30-06,.7.5x55,8mm,.45-70,9mm,.45acp) looking at what I'm loading you can see how versatile the 550 is, If I had to do it all over again I would have just bought the 550, it is a better machine

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have two Square Deals one for .45 ACP and the other for my daughters .357 excelent machines, great warenty, great support. So good in fact that when in the Phoenix area I had to visit the main store. Again very impressive and knowledageable people, very helpfull and frendly. I would not hesitate to buy Dillon again.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
If I was starting a new company and wanted to set a minimum standard for product excellence, customer support and hire friendly staff then I would have only to duplicate DILLON!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
In case you question hasn't been adequately answered yet: Dillon!
If I was starting a new company and wanted to set a minimum standard for product excellence, customer support and hire friendly staff then I would have only to duplicate DILLON!
I know everyone sounds undecided and wishy-washy :p , so I thought I'd say

DILLON!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dillon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get the 550 It's a much better machine than the squaredeal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for your input. Yes I was serious about the Lee/Dillion question. I didn't know if I wanted to reload or not so I bought cheap to get started. I've loaded about 20k rounds now and will stay with it.
I can't make up my mind abut the SDB or 550. At first I didn't want to index by hand on each stroke so I leaned toward the SDB since I only load one caliber, but seems most of you like the 550.
I do like Lee dies though. Could these be used on the 550 or should I get Dillion dies also? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Your Lee dies will work fine and auto indexing isnot faster and can have downside.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hph1911, you can use your lee dies if you are in a jam on price. But to get the full speed and accuracy of a 550 you are goeing to want progressive dies, the mouth of the dies are tapered for smooth opperation.

I went from a lee turret to the Dillon 550, I used my Lee dies for only a couple days before I coughed up the $$$ for the dillon dies, instant gratification.

As others have stated, you just can't go wrong with a Dillon.

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
I use mostly Lee, but some RCBS and Redding dies on my 650. I don't own any Dillon dies and my 650 works very well!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
How about the AT500? It looks like a good deal too.

You can add to it later to "upgrade" it to a 550B, if you need to.

I don't like the Square Deal because it doesn't use standard dies, and won't work for rifle. (I didn't think I'd ever reload rifle, but now I'm up to three calibers...)

By the way, I use a Lyman Turret Press, and the only plastic on it is the ball on the end of the handle. (I'm thinking of replacing it with the wooden ball from my old Lee. I also started out "cheap".)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again. It looks like 'yall talked me into a 550. Can't wait.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts