1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
always getting a knife with a right handed sheath? Well, I recently got a nice Bark River Survivor, and had to run out and get a local leathersmith to make me a proper left handed sheath. She stated it would be ready in a week or so, so I'll get back and post some pictures of the sheaths and knife. The supplied sheath is well made, but I opted for a few changes for my carry plans. Any other lefties out there?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,153 Posts
Is that like a left-handed mag pouch?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also feel your pain albeit on a different level. I'm right handed, but shoot rifles left handed. If carrying/using a carbine along with a handgun there isn't really a great place to put spare mags for easy reach, even at damn near 6'8" with "tactical padding" LOL. God forbid a proper big ass fixed bladed hippy cutter. Nothing fits out of the box and requires customizing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Another left-handler here...

On the other hand (pun intended), I like carrying my sheathed fixed blades on my right side.

My left side already has a handgun or my slung rifle if I'm out in the woods. I prefer my handgun and fixed blade to not compete for belt space and I don't like my rifle and knife banging into each other.

I'll still carry a folder in my left front pocket so I have easy left-hand access to a blade for daily cutting tasks. My fixed blades are generally carried for more specialized tasks (cleaning game, camp tasks, etc) and often will ride in or strapped to my pack.

Edmo

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lefty

It has gotten easier though, a lot more things are being made so we can use them.
I remember 50 years ago sizzers were right handed now you can use most with either hand

·
Registered
568 Posts
Another left-handler here...

On the other hand (pun intended), I like carrying my sheathed fixed blades on my right side.

My left side already has a handgun or my slung rifle if I'm out in the woods. I prefer my handgun and fixed blade to not compete for belt space and I don't like my rifle and knife banging into each other.

I'll still carry a folder in my left front pocket so I have easy left-hand access to a blade for daily cutting tasks. My fixed blades are generally carried for more specialized tasks (cleaning game, camp tasks, etc) and often will ride in or strapped to my pack.

Edmo

Being left handed but right eye dominant allows me to carry my knife on my left side with a pistol on my right along with a rifle so it is the best of both worlds for some of us:rock:

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Ah common you guys, it's not all bad...

You should see me trying to shoot my son's left handed .308 bolt gun! At least all y'all have had a lifetime to adapt-me? No such luck-sheesh, I'm hopeless with that thing!

:rofl:

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing your custom sheath though-that seems to be a shortcoming with many factory knives.

·
Registered
858 Posts
always getting a knife with a right handed sheath? Well, I recently got a nice Bark River Survivor, and had to run out and get a local leathersmith to make me a proper left handed sheath. She stated it would be ready in a week or so, so I'll get back and post some pictures of the sheaths and knife. The supplied sheath is well made, but I opted for a few changes for my carry plans. Any other lefties out there?

Did you contact Bark River before buying this knife?? Bark River generally takes good care of their customers. They often take customization requests. If you told them you're left handed, they may very well have made you a lefty sheath at no extra charge.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Right handed, Left eye'd here, IMHO it pays to be ambidextrous..... :)

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you are right about Bark River working with customers, but I got the knife off a dealer on sale, and it was darn near half price, so I took it as is. The sheath being made is smaller, and rides higher, made for a regular belt, so it should be easier to carry the knife comfortably, without looking like a commando.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I wasn't familiar with the "Survivor". I dunno about looking like a commando but you get a leather sheath and hat and you're going to bear a passing resemblance to Crocodile Dundee!

·
Registered
697 Posts
My wife was in Nova Scotia several years ago and picked me up a Russell/Grohmann belt knife at the factory for a happy. They had left hand sheaths available. Those Cannucks are so thoughty.

I did get me a damascus sheath knife at the gun show last weekend. It is wearing a right side sheath. Figured it would be better over there and not get in the way of my firearm. Leftys have to make do...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts