1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,I never heard of a left handed Remington Rand 1911-A-1?
Fact or fiction, a man claims to own one that's just like the LeMay Randell? Port and mag release reversed? Thanks all, Monte

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Monte: To refute his claim without even seeing the gun would have just about as much credence as the claim itself. Remember, having something is quite different than having something that is original as produced. I would be extremely surprised to find an original Rem Rand in left hand configuration. But, to see one so modified wouldn't be any surprise at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the note Scott, I'm waiting for him to send a pic or some documentation, anything is possible I spose but I swear I read somewhere the Randells were the only ones and even General Lemay couldn't get one converted?
I'll certainly post any info here, when and if? Thanks again!

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
Building what is better termed as a "mirror image" 1911 requires extensive changes in tooling, machinery, and gauges. While like Scott says it's not possible to dismiss it out of hand, the fact is Remington Rand had more important things to do with their time and effort during the war. While many experimental models and prototypes were made by the M1911A1 contractors during production, they were pretty much all made for the purpose of improving production or testing changes in manufacture.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
That's my suspicion as well.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
According to a previous thread in Other:

Joe, nope there were three companies that made true left hand 1911a1's. Randall was the first then Falcon Industries and then Safari Arms had one in their catalog but I don't know if they ever made one for sale. They all used the same machinery and fixtures btw. ------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC FFF

I'm trying to find one for my left-handed, 1911-less brother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts