1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title sums it up I suppose... I'm a lefty in most things. Pistols/Revolvers are more natural with the left arm. Rifles are absolutely right stanced but I'm pretty sure I'm left eye prone. Does it even matter? Maybe not. I think I could learn to shoot a pistol with my right arm if there was any advantage but most of you right sided ppl probably think this is too confusing for any discussion to begin with.

Anyhoo, are there other folk who have left+right (or right+left) preferences in shooting?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm lefty as well. I don't have a lefty rifle, but shoot my right handed Rem. 700 in .308 Win. fine left handed, granted it's all from the bench and slow fire. I think a lefty rifle would be better. As far as handguns go, there are some designs which are better than others. I shoot a 1911 fine except I need an ambi thumb safety. As long as a semiauto pistol has the controls laid out similar to the 1911 I am preety good to go. I use the trigger finger to manipulate the mag and slide release. I don't care for the Sig pistols due to the location of the slide rease and decocker, Revolvers are good for me too......maybe a hair slower to reload compared to a right hander, but still not bad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd guess we are a small minority. I'm right handed but have a dominant left eye. Over 50 years ago my Dad got me to try shooting a single-shot bolt action .22 left-handed because I wasn't as good as he expected when I shot right-handed. My memory of it is vague, but I know I did much better. Every since then I have been shooting all long guns left-handed, all handguns right-handed, and bows left-handed. I've never owned a left-handed shotgun, but have installed left-handed safeties on several Rem. 870s, my preferred hunting shotgun. I have a few left-handed bolt action rifles which I like much better than right-handed rifles, but the differences in operation are really small: left-hand bolt is more comfortable and slightly quicker to operate, especially in a prone position for antelope or mule deer. Many years ago I had some WW .243 brass with primer pockets too deep. I discovered this when I squeezed the trigger on my right-handed Ruger 77 and heard a click while my largest antelope stood about 70 yards away. I was prone, reached across with left hand behind scope to work the bolt, and shot the antelope before he took advantage of my problem. Of course, my CDP II has the ambi safety, but I don't need it since I use my "strong" side hand. Might try my 8 3/8" 629 for whitetail this year -- I'll need both hands.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same as Bailey.

I'm right-handed but strongly left-eye dominant. Got used to shooting long guns lefty when I was a kid and now trying to mount a long gun on the right feels as strange as trying to write with my left hand. Strangely, it's not so much that I can't see as well on the right but rather the holding of the gun there feels completely unnatural. I guess it's totally what you are used to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
shoot first

I am a right handed at almost everything. key word being almost. I learned to shoot both ways, mom is a righty but shoots left and dad is a lefty and shoots right. ok I guess dad is ambi, he can do most thing with both. any ways back to the subject at hand, no pun intended. when I was in the Marines, 200 yrd slow fire I shot right sitting, left kneeling, and right standing. it worked for me and I taught my self my autos/revolvers left handed. I see good reason to lern both and be at least decent with your week side. You never know when your dominent hand will be out of commision or otherwise occupied. ok I am starting to ramble so I guess that is it from me.

alex

oh yeah Suppo, if you gave your right arm to be ambi then you couldn't be ambi.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm right handed with most things, including pistols. However I'm left-eyed, so I shoot longarms from the left shoudler, and it came pretty naturally. I've picked up a few left handed guns and they're just, well, weird. Shooting from the right shoulder isnt as weird, since I practice week hand occasionaly. I kinda gave up on shooting pistols left handed, the ammo gets to be expensive after a while, but I save money on targets...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.