1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

Brand new to the site and already looking for help! Will be picking up my first 1911 style gun the day after christmas. I'm getting the Legacy Sports Citadel. I know its certainly not the best, but its a start.

I'm looking for some direction on the 1911 style gun take down, modifications, etc. I have already seen a few threads on here with people that have modified their citadel already. Does anyone care to share what they think should be replaced to make it a better gun? I realize I need to get out there and shoot it to find out, but I figured some of you guys with more knowledge would have some insight. Also I am looking for some thin carry grips for it.. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
You already hit the nail on the head about shooting it:). Put a few boxes of ammo through it first and then see where you want to start. Right now for me the only change I want to make on mine is to get rid of the plastic MSH and replace it with one from Wilson(something about plastic in a 1911 just doesn't seem right:biglaugh:)

Regards,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Will you be purchasing the full size or officer's size Citadel? The officer's model has a metal MSH, unlike the plastic on the fullsize. My everyday carry gun is the 3.5" Citadel. I can't say enough about it; mine shoots great, eats all the ammo I have found to feed it, shoots accurately, and carries nicely. I did replace the grips, not to a slim grim, but a smooth one. For me, smooth grips carry much more comfortably than the diamond checkered ones it came with. I've carried mine nearly everyday for a couple of months now, and the finish is holding up great.

I did buy a handful of lightly used Wilson Combat mags, but this is the case with all my 1911's. If your gun doesn't run real well out of the box...find another mag to try, I suggest the Wilsons.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
you know i actually went to gander mountain today and looked at a citadel 3.5inch bull barrel 1911. i could see some cheap fitting, but looked somewhat decent. gander wanted too much, they were asking full retail $579. i've read online, in most areas they go for no more than $500.

it had a pretty decent trigger pull. i could see some odd machining marks on various parts of the slide and frame (ejection port & mag well), but you expect this sort of thing at the price point. think it's the first 3.5inch barrel 1911 i've ever seen. the barrel was bull, but not fully ramped. had only a little play in the slide to frame fit, certainly an acceptable amount. had a full length guide rod too.

it did have a lot of features for the money, but i am hesitant to buy a cheap 1911, as this design is far less forgiving of manufacturing "indiscretions", and can easily be turned into a jammomatic with a few slight mistakes.

i'll keep an eye on reviews on this one. if it gets decent reviews as far as reliability, i might look into one. :)

here's the website for legacy sports. they're the importer:

http://www.legacysports.com/products/citadel/index.html

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
i have the officers size citadel 600 rounds now down range rides in my nick mathews #1 iwb holster everyday its no kimber but i trust it with my life great shooter !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Citadel

Im picking up the Compact Citadel after christmas. I put it on "layaway" because I didn't think it would be there at the end of the month. I got it for $475 plus tax.

I like everything about it except for the magazine and grips. Thats just from messing around with it multiple times in the store before getting it on hold. So thanks for the advice on the magazines and I will put some rounds through it and go from there...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have one and while it is no match pistol. It is indeed very well worth the $ paid. I had to send mine in for repair, but it is 100% now. Sending guns in for repair seems to be very common. I have three other brands of 1911 and all of them made a trip back, one made three trips. They were also twice what the Citadel costs.

If anyone is on the fence about these guns. They are great gun for the $ and I would not hesitate to recomend them to anyone. Get one, before they go up in price.

Buds has them pretty cheap http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_590

Nick:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 3.5" Citadel came with two mags but when at my shootin place, I run my full size checkmate 1911 mags thru the girl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts