1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were a regular guy/gal ( not an extreme gun enthusiast ) that was wanting to take a basic concealed carry class, would you rather have a one day class or a two day all week-end class ? Obviousley a 2-day class would offer more training, but I realize that the average person may not be willing to devote a whole weekend to a class. So, what are some opinions ? Thanks

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Typical CCW qualification classes required by states don't provide firearms "Training" per se. Actual firearms training prior to the CCW class would be an excellent idea, but seperate. The topics covered in the CCW class and firearms qualification can be covered in one day.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
If you don`t have much or any experience or training with firearms, even a single full day firearms training session would be very helpful prior to taking the CCW classes required by most states. When I took my CCW class, there were 2/3 of the attendees who had purchased but never shot their gun prior to arrival for the class. The range instructors were very patient with them and all but 2 did very well, but man did it ever slow the range session down. We were at an outdoor range and had to skip 2 of the drills to beat darkness. I really didn`t mind....everyone has to start somewhere, but then newcomers should also be considerate to those of us who have trained and have experience.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
My class in SC included several hours discussing firearms basics.
Bored the heck out of me, but some in class needed it.

I suggest you call your potential concealed carry instructor, and tell
them where you are in experience. They will be in the best position to
recommend a course of action for you.

If you are in doubt, take the extra training. It's better to have too
much training . . . if that's possible.

Joe

·
Registered
527 Posts
TINCUP AL said:
the average person may not be willing to devote a whole weekend to a class...
There will be plenty of opinions, but I guess I have to ask what your life is worth???...a "whole weekend" of your time?

If you are looking to get a CCW, I have to assume that your will be carrying it to defend your life and/or the life of someone you care about.

If you do not already have a solid foundation in handgun skills, a one day course will, at best, allow you to avoid injuring yourself with that handgun. There are very very few people who, after one day of instruction, would be prepared to prevail in a gun battle for their lives.

Two days of instruction, would certainly be better, but before one takes on the responsibility of carrying a firearm for defending their lives they should give serious consideration to how much effort it will take to become proficient with their handgun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I am the instructor. I believe in a 2-day course, with the majority of that being actual range time. My view is that you can never have too much training, but I am biased. I was wanting a general feel for what your average "joe citizen" would be more likely to take as far as a CCW class. I have had several people tell me that they would be more inclined to take a 1 day class that a 2-day. The 2-day classes that we do go more into serious shooting that just your typical stand at the firing line and shoot at the target and call it good. But, like I said, I have had several people tell me that they would be more interested in a 1 day class instead of 2. I just wanted a general idea from some people here on the web. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
TINCUP AL said:
I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I am the instructor. I believe in a 2-day course, with the majority of that being actual range time. My view is that you can never have too much training, but I am biased. I was wanting a general feel for what your average "joe citizen" would be more likely to take as far as a CCW class. I have had several people tell me that they would be more inclined to take a 1 day class that a 2-day. The 2-day classes that we do go more into serious shooting that just your typical stand at the firing line and shoot at the target and call it good. But, like I said, I have had several people tell me that they would be more interested in a 1 day class instead of 2. I just wanted a general idea from some people here on the web. Thanks.

OH! Well, this is now a marketing question. 1-day will get you alot more
business. Prospective customers will be most interested in just getting
the class done with.

Then, during the class, keep pitching other training you offer.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I took my CCW class, we had the option of a 1 day class or a 2 day weekend class. I asked what the difference between the two programs was and was told that the 2 day went more into gun basics on the first day and then the rest on the second day. I went with the 1 day class as I had my gun handling pretty much in check with my weapon of choice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There's a guy in this area who runs a 3 day class (Friday evening, and all day Saturday and Sunday) and he seems to be busy. Wouldn't be for me - as an experienced shooter, mostly what I was after was the certificate and some legal advice. Maybe you could offer an all-inclusive Saturday class with (optional) additional shooting instruction the next day.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The NRA Personal Protection class is twelve hours long. That includes range time, legal aspects of concealed carry, safety training, etc. etc.

That seems to be the class that will be accepted by all states (with the possible exception of Kalifornia, it like "Mikie" hates everything :) that allow CCWs.

I would rather spend more time and see if I can learn more.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
freakshow10mm said:
I don't believe a law abiding citizen should be required to train to exercise a right. It needs to be as short as possible.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. But I think STRONGLY URGING at a minimum would certainly be appropriate. Having the legal right to own and bear arms does not in any way shape or form make me proficient at it. Practice and training do. And based on what I saw by the lack of experience by others that were in my CCW class....much much much more training was in order.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
A one day course seems to be adequate for the laws regarding concealed carry. One extra day isn't going to make or break someones ability to use the gun, you can't possibly begin to teach them everything they'll need to know in even a week, why tack an extra day to a CCW class?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am more comfortable knowing that anyone with a ccw has atleast some basic knowledge and rangetime with there weapons. Plus pistol shooting isnt the easyest, and id love ot have a trained instrustor there ot critiqe me aswell as give me tips on how to improve.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I agree with Freakshow.

Their daddy should have taught them how to handle a gun.

And, alot of the training time is spent on where you can and can't
legally carry. You know, the Second Ammendment doesn't say
"except in churches," or "except in banks in North Carolina." This
training is required because our rights are being violated. They are
giving us a list of violations of our rights.

Now I don't expect any of this to change, but I think it important
to understand.

Joe

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Ours is mandatory 12 hours and we usually run it in 4 hour blocks on Thursday and Friday night and then the shooting part Saturday morning. There is a police officer doing the legal issues and a couple of us discusssing principles, safety, case studies, and firearms. They qual at 7 and 15 yards. 10 rds on each. On occasion we will do it all in one day.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
40dcoe said:
I agree with Freakshow.

Their daddy should have taught them how to handle a gun.

And, alot of the training time is spent on where you can and can't
legally carry. You know, the Second Ammendment doesn't say
"except in churches," or "except in banks in North Carolina." This
training is required because our rights are being violated. They are
giving us a list of violations of our rights.

Now I don't expect any of this to change, but I think it important
to understand.

Joe
The only problem lurking here is that many people entering the world of handguns and concealed carry, were never trained by their daddy. I support absolutely every citizen arming themselves.....just get training on the proper and safe handling of the guns they will be carrying. I saw firsthand people who were just plain dangerous to MY wellbeing.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
If I were a newbie

I would want to get the class done with to get the permit. Then come back for additional information.
In KY the course is supposed to be 8 hours. Extended for non shooters for help.
I think the additional option to attend a class for the lawyerly information would be well received. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Training

The decision to carry brings with it an awesome responsibility. The act of using the firearm when necessary is predetermined. The more training the better, whether it be seat time or range time. We have a responsibility to all around us to be more proficient and prudent than just barely qualifying. And, lest we ignore sound educational principles, more short sessions are far more effective than one long session. Finally, being permitted is only the minimal requirement----we should demand more of ourselves than the various states mandate. Just the 2 cents of an old guy in Texas.

Dennis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts