1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare full length guide rod, and want to cut it shorter and finish it to use with a GI recoil plug in my Kimber to test back to back with my stock FLGR. I want to solve the mystery in my head about accuracy and felt recoil that I've read about.

Any of you excellent pistolsmiths know what the overall length of the rod is? Is it tapered, or just straight like a FLGR?

Is there anything dangerous about my conversion of the spare rod to the shorter GI length?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I don't know the length off the top of my head, I'll have to measure one. They are not tapered but the end is rounded. Why not just buy a stock USGI guide rod instead of shopping your spare FLGR?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10mmfan,

Thank you so much. I cut the spare rod with my die grinder, and used a small drum sander on the arbor to round the end. Polished, and now it's installed.

Wow. My first reaction is: noticably less felt weight at the end of the pistol. With the addition of my new steel S&A self-blended magwell, the balance of my Custom Classic is now EXACTLY under the trigger guard, where my middle finger rests (fully loaded).

Perfect. Now, off to the range this weekend with both rods/plugs to see if it makes any difference to felt recoil.

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by TackDriver (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts
Been there done that...not a gunsmith but as you know by now...this one is no problem...

[This message has been edited by J MAC (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts