1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Clear! It works very good for indoor, outdoor, reloading, and yard work. It's like one pairs fit all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I prefer Amber for low light or cloudy days, Tinted for sunny days and Clear for night shooting.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I shoot mostly at a dimly lit indoor range. I find that the amber lenses work best for me as they give more contrast to the edges of things like bullet holes, ring lines and such.

Hey, my eyes ain't what they use to be.

Mac

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I shoot with clear indoors and with dark grey for out doors, the outdoors eyewear being my normal sunglasses that I would be wearing when out and about. I often shoot with clear lenses outdoors as well depending on time of day, glare, and cloud cover.

You may want to consider your choice of lens colors based on why you are shooting. If just target shooting, then go with what works absolutely best for you in a given situation. You can then ignore the stuff I have below.

If you are practicing as a defensive shooter and don't normally wear some unusual tint like amber or yellow, then don't practice with them. They really do help in lower light situations, especially the yellow, but will you be wearing such glasses normally? For a defensive shooting, rarely will you have time to change to the most optimal pair of shooting glasses for a fight. The one exception I know for this was the North Hollywood Bank robbery with the two gunmen who had automatic weapons. The battle lasted more than 30 minutes and in that time, cops came from all over. In some of the footage, you can see guys wearing yellow lense glasses and muff hearing protection. Of course none of the immediately responding cops or the cops that were shot early on had the benefit of either.

I actually have a friend who drives with yellow glasses because they really help clarify things for him when it is dark outside, and he shoots with them. So practicing with yellow is not diverging from how he is often equipped at night.

The same holds true for prescription glasses. Do you wear prescription glasses most of the time? If so, you really should consider shooting while wearing those glasses. People who get glasses for the first time, change prescriptions, or who haven't practiced shooting with them on often find out they have some real obstacles to over come becase the glasses do not present the same sight picture they are used to seeing without the glasses. Until they figure out what is what, often their shooting can be poor.

Similarly, if you wear glasses most of the time, you should learn how to shoot without the prescription lenses as well so that you can learn your deficiencies and try to correct for them long before you are ever in a gun fight.

On of the most frustrating days I saw for a fellow shooter was the day he came to the range in his new bifocals. Depending on which portion of the lens he looked through, either he couldn't see his sights cleary or really could not see the target very well at all at 10 yards. While he could hit COM pretty well, head shots often missed. He learned quickly that with bifocals, he should not attempt precision shooting at that distance because it was quite easy to screw up. Funny thing, until he got used to the glasses, he actually shot better with no correction than with his bifocals.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yellow for me when shooting at the local, dimly lit indoor range. The yellow lens seems to sharpen and brighten things for me.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
143 Posts
What Double Naught said-
If training for defensive use of firearms, we'd recommend sticking with clear. For competition, we would recommend lenses that offer brightness and contrast, like yellow or amber, because every advantage with your vision can help your shooting. Try to find shooting glasses that offer you a choice of high quality lenses- we use and sell Bolle products with excellent interchangeable lenses. HTH!

------------------
SKD Tactical, Inc. www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

·
Registered
724 Posts
http://www.sportglasses.com/

I’ve worn prescription Decot Hy-Wrd shooting glasses for close to 20 years. They have some good info on colors (and different shades of the same colors) for various conditions and different shooting sports. For very bright days I like the medium vermilion. I like the light gold for hunting (works good in pre-dawn and dim light). They also do non-prescription, even in clear.

------------------
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never owned a good 1911.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts