1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was interesting. Would he have been charged for carrying a concealed weapon because he had been drinking or because that was not his service pistol?

News Link

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
...How bout because he pulled it out and fired it through the window for no reason? I would expect him to get charged sober or not/duty weapon or not!

·
Registered
137 Posts
At some point in time, they got lost and ended up in Davidson County
Hard to say, not very good reporting, but a guess would be he's not an officer of Davidson County and dose not have a CCW permit. So guessing there is some funky state law that dose not give an officer the right to CCW out of his area.

Just a guess tho. The CCW thing is the least of his problems tho, shooting out a car window cause he's lost? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Oh, and everybody knows the LEO's are the only ones qualified to possess firearms:rolleyes:

·
2,953 Posts
I don't think concealed weapon is the correct charge as he would be able to carry concealed throughout the state since he is a law officer. It may be that he didn't have his badge with him at the time of arrest.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Lesser included charge for the prosecutor to fall back on in a plea bargain, perhaps. I mean, the shooting at his girlfriend should have brought an attempted murder charge or a reckless endangerment charge at least.. Not "domestic violence" and CCW charges. MOO, of course.

Or is there anything in the statutes that state even police officers can not carry a concealed weapon if they have been drinking or are intoxicated?

·
2,953 Posts
I am not aware of anything specific to law officers carrying while intoxicated in the statutes....but I am sure that it is covered in departmental policy.

Will look into it if/when I get a chance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called a LEO friend and got some info on what grounds he could be charged for a concealed weapon. He said that he would think it was because the officer had been drinking. He said that LEOs are exempted from some requirements of the concealed carry laws, but drinking was not one of them. He said that he could carry where alcohol was consumed as long has he does not drink. In NC a CCW holder cannot carry where alcohol is consumed no matter if you drink or not. Personally I think the officer needs some anger management, and I would also hope that they fire him ASAP!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
"Officer Oliver Ray Gilley Jr., 29, was charged by deputies with assault with a deadly weapon and carrying a concealed weapon, according to warrants. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As with so many threads, things were quite as posted. He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon in addition to the concealed carry violation.

I don't believe the state has any laws that say an officer must carry his duty weapon when off duty, so the fact that it was not his duty weapon should not be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts