1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently retired after 28 years with the IL State Police, 18 years of which were on SWAT, with the last 10 as the Assistant Team Leader (5 years) then Team Leader (5 more). I have been a proponent for the HERO911 app since it's inception, and just was asked to join the company on the non-profit Hero911 side.

HERO911 is a non-profit division of Guard911. HERO911 is a free app for law enforcement officers, both active and retired (LEOSA qualified), to download to their smart phones. If an officer with the app is in the specified geographical vicinity of a school, mall, church, or other business that has one of the Guard911 services, that officer will instantly be alerted to the situation, usually an active shooter, and the officer can acknowledge on their phone. When activated, the app simultaneously calls 911 and alerts all police officers with the app, both on and off-duty, providing a map of the location of the alert.

Officers can then decide, following their individual department's policies and protocols, whether to respond to assist. At least, these officers are aware now of a situation.

I carry a 1911, usually my Wilson cqb 45, off duty with at least two extra mags, and have body armor with police markings in my trunk, so I'm identified in the event of an active shooter alert in my proximity, and my being able to respond.

I encourage all qualified LEOs, both retired and active, to download the free app, and to carry off duty, especially the best firearm ever made, a 1911!

More info can be found at hero911.org. I guess the question really is, wouldn't you like to know if they were a situation occurring in your vicinity? Especially if you have children in school, shop at a mall, attend churches, etc. HERO911 is endorsed by nationally known and respected author and speaker Lt Col Dave Grossman, among others.

Stay safe and carry (your 1911) off duty!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I had this Ap but was under the impression I couldn't continue it after I retired in 2014...I'll look back into it since I agree it is nice to have...thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this Ap but was under the impression I couldn't continue it after I retired in 2014...I'll look back into it since I agree it is nice to have...thanks!

Bill
Please re-submit with your retirement ID/credentials and you'll be re-activated.

Thanks and stay safe! Carry a 1911.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
thank you sir...I think it is a good program...a short time after originally activating I got a notice of trouble at my nephews high school (turned out to be nothing) but it was nice to know...

Bill

·
Banned
346 Posts
Im confused at how this app works. Does the officer have to be near a business? Or is it simply the officer presses a button revealing their location saying there is an active shooter?

I just saw guard911, what is that?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The officer simply needs to be in the pre-set geographic vicinity of any school or business that has one of the services activated. Once alerted, you simply acknowledge, uniform or plain clothes. It's then up to you and your department's protocols and policies to decide if you're responding (off duty).

An employee of any facility that has one of the services would be the one to push the "active Shooter" button, then the alert would go to 911 and any LEO in the geographic area with HERO911 downloaded (and activated) on their phone simultaneously.

Guard911 is the parent company for all the app programs, SchoolGuard, Campus911, and Guard911 (businesses, churches, theaters, malls, hospitals, etc.).

Hope this helps, and carry that 1911 off-duty!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hero911 met with and is now endorsed by "In the Line of Duty", for all you LEOs out there that are subscribers or lookers on their website.............

Big news coming soon concerning a benefit raffle of a 1911 from one of the best companies out there..................as they say, stay tuned!!

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
I didn't see an app for Windows phones, which is what I have.

·
Banned
608 Posts
I can't help but wonder if/when it gets noticed by hackers how long before they start sending y'all on wild goose chases. As evidenced by Sony, AM, and others, no system is that strong.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't help but wonder if/when it gets noticed by hackers how long before they start sending y'all on wild goose chases. As evidenced by Sony, AM, and others, no system is that strong.
The system only works by someone activating it who is actually physically on the subscriber property. We've been live for just over a year, and have only had one false alarm. That was caused by an authorized user who did not follow the tutorial (placing the app in test mode) and pushed the button.

The press was actually positive after the false activation, and the system worked as designed.

·
Banned
608 Posts
The system only works by someone activating it who is actually physically on the subscriber property. We've been live for just over a year, and have only had one false alarm. That was caused by an authorized user who did not follow the tutorial (placing the app in test mode) and pushed the button.

The press was actually positive after the false activation, and the system worked as designed.
Ahh, gotcha. Good call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts