1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. I have been looking for a CCW for a couple of months now. Les Baer seems to make great guns. What model would you guys recommend for a first time carry weapon?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How experienced of a shooter are you? and how experienced with 1911's are you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a massive amount of pistol experience, what I do have is mostly on an HK mark 23, and a little bit of plinking on a browning buckmark .22. I have shot 8 rounds on a friends colt 1911, so not much experience at all with a 1911

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
1911's don't require any more experience than any other pistol...just the usual rules apply...you know...keep the safety on until ready to fire, don't point it at anything you're not prepared to destroy, etc., etc...its only a pistol.

I carry a Les Bear Stinger...24, 7, 365, and yes they do make great carry guns.
I'm guessing you liked your friend's 1911, so now you want one:)

Don't blame ya...but don't let anybody tell you that they require all that experience.
The one area of 1911's that is different from most other pistol is "maintenance"...and thats not all that complicated.

I'm not saying, in any way, that 1911's are not to be respected and used safely...they can be dangerous, even deadly (if they weren't...why would we carry them?)...but they are no more dangerous than any other pistol....and IMO, they are safer than those striker fired gizmos that so many people like so much.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I carry my Premier II, alot of guys don't like the sights on it for carry use due to they might snag. I have been carring it since June of 07 and have never had that problem.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The Stinger is great, and the Thunder Ranch Commanche (TRC) is SUPERB. I'm sure you'll be in good hands with either one.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
What is the difference between the Thunder ranch and the Stinger?

the TR is a full size govt model (5" barrel) the Stinger is an officer size frame and 4.25" barrel (its a bit smaller and easier to carry for some like myself and damn accurate!) :)

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
the TR is a full size govt model (5" barrel) the Stinger is an officer size frame and 4.25" barrel (its a bit smaller and easier to carry for some like myself and damn accurate!) :)
The Thunder Ranch also comes in a Commander size (4-1/4" barrel) like the TR Commanche Special pictured above. Here's the other side....

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Huevos,

my bad your correct and there was even a pic to remind me!

That is just fantastic by the way!

:rock:

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I prefer a full size TRS for daily carry........................

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I prefer a full size TRS for daily carry........................
I too carry full size guns as well as my Commanders, gunfighter45 makes a good point. The 5" guns are, IMO, a better format all around and I always recommend getting a 5" as your first 1911. I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't stop with just one 1911 anyway. I'd start out with a 5"....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info and the great pics! Where do you guys who carry the 5" normally wear it? Belt line?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Where one carries their weapon is a personal-preference issue. What works for one person might not for another.

Think of the face of a clock with your body as the center of it-your zipper would be "12 o'clock". I'm right handed and prefer the "3 o'clock" position (I've used this position for over 20 years, didn't always). I let my right arm hang straight down my side. I draw it directly up, where it contacts my waist is where I position the holster...99% of the time. Depending on how I'm dressed or need to dress for any particular occassion will also determine my method of carry for my 5" TRS.

If you haven't received any formal instruction I strongly suggest you do so. You will see what will work for you by "using & doing". If you have received instruction-I'm referring to more than a standard NRA style safety class, but one where you actually carry, draw from the holster, engage targets and move to cover/concealment as well-contact the instructor and bounce some ideas off of him/her.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
I'd use Huevos proven "MAN PURSE" butt-pack! :biglaugh:
Actually, I shouldn't even be here since I don't own an LB, just slid in to infiltrate! All our 1911's are the same shape. I love a quality IWB from either Sparks (VM-II) or Brommeland (MaxCon V). My sweet spot is about 3:30, just behind my hip bone. Both have a considerable lag time. Check Craigslist or EBay, they often show up, but you've gotta be fast to get them. Always remember though, Huevos is only a copy! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Just search holsters, then narrow it down. Craigslist is filed by cities or regions. Start with your own, then spread out. You can even find a new girlfriend there!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts