1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Les Baer "Super Tac" that came with adjustable night sights. I'm considering replacing the front sight with a Dawson fiberoptic for competition (USPSA single-stack division) shooting. My existing front sight appears to be staked with some type of pin into the slide. Can someone tell me the correct way to remove this pin and what size punch is needed. Thanks

· Registered
1,305 Posts
Bruce_M said:
I have a Les Baer "Super Tac" that came with adjustable night sights. I'm considering replacing the front sight with a Dawson fiberoptic for competition (USPSA single-stack division) shooting. My existing front sight appears to be staked with some type of pin into the slide. Can someone tell me the correct way to remove this pin and what size punch is needed. Thanks
you will need to drill out the pin. I think the pin is pressed into the sight so you need to drill down until the pin is at the height if the hole in the slide. Press the sight out and then remove the rest of the pin.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. White

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping for something easier, but now know I should just send it back to the factory for the work. Your advice kept me out of trouble. Thanks again.

· Premium Member
13,134 Posts
I've often thought that if I were to get the front sights on a Baer replaced, I would or I would have the smith drill the hole all the way through the slide like an Ed Brown. That way the roll pin could be driven out rather than drilled.

· Registered
1,305 Posts
Kruzr said:
I've often thought that if I were to get the front sights on a Baer replaced, I would or I would have the smith drill the hole all the way through the slide like an Ed Brown. That way the roll pin could be driven out rather than drilled.
As I see it the risk here would be that the roll pin could work its way thru and into the barrel bushing etc. Still both methods are better then silver solder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.