1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know this is apples and oranges but is it really? I'm looking for a 5" government model that is super accurate. Something different from my beloved three Colts. The Baer's are really cool, tight and accurate but am wondering if the Sig scorpion or Extreme isn't going to deliver tight groups out to 20-25 yards for half the price? Resale will be better with Baer but am really vexed on this one. I like both guns aesthetically and am willing to pay for quality. Thoughts and input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Is this a trick question? Get the Baer.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
In my opinion. When you are torn between a good production gun such as the Sig and a gun comparable to the Baer, you go with the latter. It's not so much as the extra money you will spend. It's more about getting what, in the back of your mind, you really want. If you have the opportunity and don't do it you will always wonder.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Only you can decide if spending more is worth a little bit more accuracy. And if the operator will be good enough to take advantage of that little bit more accuracy.

LB's are good, no argument there.

The Sig 1911 is probably the best value out there right now. But if money is not a concern, then that does not enter into the equation.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If it were me, it wouldn't even be a question. I would get another Baer. I would also look at Dan Wesson, and STI before I would consider a Sig.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Why would you not send one of the beloved colts for more love from a smith? It might be more beloved when it comes back awesome. Jmo

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
SIG 1911: Series 80 FPS (strike one), oddball extractor (strike two), half as accurate (strike three). And the winner is?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've got Sig 1911's and love them.
Given the choice, I'd go Baer.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Why do you think a Sig would be an upgrade over your Colts? I'm not aware of any stellar reputation for accuracy with a Sig, no more so than any other production gun.

I'm not a Les Baer fan so that one is a no-go for me, personally.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Why do you think a Sig would be an upgrade over your Colts? I'm not aware of any stellar reputation for accuracy with a Sig, no more so than any other production gun.

I'm not a Les Baer fan so that one is a no-go for me, personally.
I'm not sure about their 1911's, but SIG's in general do have a reputation for stellar accuracy. Their classic series pistols I've found to be more accurate than any other factory pistol I've shot (obviously not including custom guns). And although I never shot one, their SSG 3000, back when you could buy one, had a phenomenal, as in "hold the press" reputation for accuracy. The precision shooters on Snipershide generally felt that there was no way a gun with the SSg 3000's price point had any right to be half as accurate as it was...outshooting rifles 2 to 3 times their cost.

So again, I have no idea about their 1911's, but SIG is known for accuracy.

But between the OP's two choices, I'd take a Les Baer. I've always wanted a Thunder Ranch Special.

·
Registered
14 Posts
buy both and enjoy your growing 1911 collection. The Sig is a hybrid 1911, so it would be different from any 1911 you currently own anyways. The Les Baer is just like your colts, but made to a higher standards that you are paying for.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I did a review and a similar question 1911 Shootout: RIA vs Kimber vs DW's Valor

For the price of the Les Baer you could get a Dan Wesson Valor, 1911 Sig and RIA.

Just sayin'

Triple

Not sure I follow what you're sayin'. I paid about the same price for my Duty Treat DW Valor as I did for my customized LB UTC. Of course, that was before the LB markup that started this January.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts