1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy know's of whence he speaks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"As several of us knew they they would, Les Baer Custom has finally raised prices! This was a long time coming and has been done in order to follow the inflation of metals. Quality carbon steels have gone up over 10% in the last 18mos. The price of stainless has gone up nearly 40%. Even with very agreeable arrangements with suppliers, Baer has finally been forced to get in line.

MSRP on carbon models has gone up about 8%, while some stainless models are up nearly $300. This does not represent greater profit margin for Baer, but simply maintains an already incredible value in the product.

For a dozen years, many of us, "Baer-heads", have known that Baer pistols were grossly underpriced in the market. They have represented the single-best-value in any 1911, at any price. This continues. They remain less expensive than Nighthawk, Wilson, Pistol Dynamics and all other comparable competitors. But, now they cost what they should have cost, 7yrs ago.

Those of you who have already ordered your Baer will pay the price it was when ordered. Those who place orders from today will still get a great price on a gun that should still cost $500 more than it does.

Cheers,

Ping"

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Where did you find the info on his price increases? His website hasn't changed.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Where did you find the info on his price increases? His website hasn't changed.

Where he found it is irrelevant...but it is true. Ping does know what he's talking about. Websites tend to be the last to know most of the time.

And besides...we all knew it had to happen sooner or later...the price of metal is outrageous, not to mention LBC is in the process of building a new facility, moving all that equipment, probably buying new equipment too, etc., etc.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don't say this about to many people, but if A-Zone says something about Les Baer's you can bet your last dollar on it. He has been a wealth of info to me on my PII, and is never to busy to help someone new to what I think is about the best 1911 made. THANKS A-Zone.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
yeah baby it looks like me buying my custom carry the day before the increase with the 1.5 option means I got the option for free compared to buying now at the current price increase.

Sure glad I found out about Feb 1st increase a day early and jumped on board with Becky to hook me up at the old prices.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered mine on November 1 but I thought that any price increase between the order and delivery would be passed along to me. I'm delighted to know the cost will be the same as when I placed the order.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Eight percent.... that means a new TRS is going to run about $1,900. Still not bad, not bad at all, but I sure hope that the price of metal goes down soon!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
LOL, even if the metal prices drop hes not going to lower prices since it will make up for all the time he didnt raise them from before.

I am just happy I got my last baby 1911 for a while at the old price.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Even at the new prices Les Baer pistols are still a bargain. Have you checked out the prices at the other semi-custom shops?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Still a great deal

So a Super Tac that previously could be had for $2000 will now cost $2160. Yes, the price has gone up, but it is still a great price for one hell of a 1911.

Regarding the "bang for your buck" equation, Baer 1911s make some of the other 1911 shops (like Wilson & Nighthawk) look sick by compairson.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Progunner you obviously don't own a Wilson or you wouldn't make that remark.

Wipe the koolaid from your lips and have anice day:biglaugh:

·
Registered
480 Posts
When you check out other shops pricing, keep in mind the add ons that come standard, for example...

Nighthawks basic Talon vs Baer TRS

TALON comes standard with :

Magwell............... (Baer charges 215.00)
Permacoat........... ( Baer charges 290.00)
top slide serrations .. (Baer charges 140.00)
serrater rear slide...... ( Baer charges 45.00)
Real Novak sights (or anyones heine, 10-8 etc) ...... (Baer...Champion sights)
Customer service
Nighthawk pays shipping both ways .... (do you pay to ship gun back ? )
Full custom using anyones parts ....... (Baer only parts)

Baer would charge almost 700.00 (690.00) dollars more just to equal what comes standard on the Talon
Nighthawk Talon 2420.00
Baer TRS ...........1748.00 (NEW INCREASE ? )

Nighthawk Talon is less money

Just an observation , dont just compare prices, look at the complete package. Take care.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Are you nuts?

That talon is not comprable to a TRS its about the same as the Ultimate master which is still less then it.

Why would you compare a TRS to that talon anyway? I think you are backwards because after simply adding what the TRS doesnt have it would cost under 2k and be then comprable to the Talon with equal finish and options minus all the milling costs that are cosmetic improvements.

Never heard of Nighthawk until now but they are nice looking for sure. I like all the checkering on the slide and the cuts along the top. If I knew more about them I would have looked that direction but LB has such a good reputation for quality I would be scared to spend that money some where else.

I cant lie that those Nighthawks look killer but with out all the pretty stuff on them do you really think they are any better then a LB that costs $1k less? Its sort of like the Wilson Combats and others that cost way more but I just dont see how they can be worth that cost or "better" then a LB pistol costing much less. If you know a reason then I would love to hear it but while I think those milling cuts are pretty I would gladly save my $1k and not worry about what a pistol "looks" like. It would be like crying about it getting scratched or something so whats the point of all the cosmetic work?

PS nighthawk is direct only sales so the TRS is not $1748 it is $1610 at any dealer. (sportingarms.com)

·
Registered
480 Posts
PS nighthawk is direct only sales so the TRS is not $1748 it is $1610 at any dealer. (sportingarms.com)
No, they have retailers that will be much lower than MSRP (like Baer and all shops), for example.....George @ Gunslingers, i've never dealt with him, but alot of people rave about his prices and customer service.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
ahh, I read on their web site that they are direct only.

Those guns look killer but just like Wilson the cost turned me away. I just think at a certain point its not a "better" gun its just a gun with more cosmetic stuff that I just cant stomach to pay $1k for.

They really are beautiful though but I dont feel I missed out on paying for another LB piston at $1600 on a Custom Carry vs the cheapest Nighthawk at $2400. Now I would be pissed if they were the same price or even close because those are nice looking.

Well I am not a cheerleader for LB but you cant arguee price point with LB vs others like Wilson and nighthawk ect. For the money you arent skimping on anything and you arent getting a production gun like a SA loaded.

My stupid TRP cost me $1200 and its no where near the quality as a LB so I can figure a good comparison between justifying what another $400 gets you between a TRS and a TRP. Now that is a night and day difference and I can truthfully say that having a Super Tac, TRP and a Custom carry(on the way) there are huge differences.

Now take the $700+ difference between a Nighthawk Talon and a TRS what more are you getting?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I dont see much of a cost differance. I took a Nighthawk Talon and compared it to a Baer TRS and added the upgraded features that come standard on the Talon and looked at Baers pricing.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That is true so then I guess its all which you like. I know both are pretty and good shooter so who do you buy from?

I stayed with LB for no good reason other then my Super Tac is perfect and anything compared to it from Wilson or the others was more money and I couldnt justify what more that extra money would give me.

So if you can live with out the milling work you can save lots of money on a Baer like a TRS that is just stock. I suppose for $300 you can add a nice finish and I never wanted a blue gun but was sold when I saw BlackMajiks worn pistols. Man there is just something unique about a holster worn blued gun.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Anyhow, i certainly dont want it to start into a pissing match. Just that some people were talking about the price differance, and i wasnt sure if some peole were realizing the standard features that might come with one manufacturer and not the other. Not only standard features but build philosophy ( Target tight 1911's vs Combat fitted 1911's ), customer service, after sales costs, custom build flexibilty and so on. Something to think about, take care.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Good points.

Can I ask why some say target tight and combat tight? I mean my Baer has the 1.5 option and never has failed yet.

I understand all these builders have their own idea but you have to appreciate a gun that can shoot 1.5 groups at 50yrds but still be that reliable.

What do I not know about that makes a tight gun that is realiable not good for combat?

No pissing match and its an honest question with no attitude intended.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts