1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to ordering a Premier II, 5". Can't decide between three finish options:

1) Blued: Shows wear, but $140 to re-blue whole gun, not too $$, classic look.

2) Brushed Hard Chrome, Complete Gun: Chrome is a coating and can be scratched, very noticeable if scratched on either side of the slide, many portions are bead blasted.

3) Bead Blasted Hard Chrome, Complete Gun: Engraving can look faint or shadowed, not sure what this would look like.

I would also go with the single sided safety & full length guide rod (tungsten?). Is it worth asking for the checkered mainspring housing over the flat serrated mainspring housing? I doubt I would opt for the accuracy improvement (1.5").

I will be using this gun for local competitive shooting events and eventually some sanctioned events (Re. holster wear concern).

Thoughts/comments to all/any of the above will be appreciated. Thank you.

Bird

· Registered
529 Posts
Bird, welcome to the site. You made a good choice for Baer PII. I have one in blue with 1.5" feature and love it since day one. PII is one of the best gun for the money (if not the best) in the semi custom 1911 market.

As far as the finish goes, with your intended application, hard chrome should serve you well over time. Especially, frequent drawing in and out of the hoslter. I normally prefer bead blast HC since it looks less shiny. I got mine about 6 months ago and I plan to have some cosmetic modifications done to it before turning it into a 2 tone gun. Any which way you decide, you can't go wrong. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Wit (edited 06-23-2001).]

· Registered
252 Posts
Hey Bird, i have a TRS blued, with out the 1.5" option.. The chrome would offer some advantages but i don`t like it cosmetically, and i don`t mind the holster wear on a blued gun, you can have it reblued as you mentioned anyway.. I can`t say how much "you" would notice the 1.5" feature although i suppose the "weapon" is more accurate, but the lock up and fittings are tight as a drum with out it.. As for the checkerd mainspring housing i love it on my TRS, and wouldnt have it any other way, it really grabs your hand.. These are among the most enjoyable decisions a man must make
-Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

· Registered
7 Posts
Bird,
Hard chrome is a plating process, not a coating. Holster wear is simply not an issue with hard chrome. My TRS is bead blasted hard chrome and looks brand new, even after a lot of abuse and rain at Thunder Ranch! Your choice of a Baer is a good one. Decisions about the "bells and whistles" are very personal. Good Luck!

· Registered
36 Posts
I think the ultimate rough use finish is bead blast hard chrome with blue sights. HC will give lots of wear and looks good too (IMO). However, I really prefer a blue gun for looks.Your call.

The 1.5" feature is a personal choice, as someone else said, though there's nothing like absolutely knowing that where you're pointing is exactly where the round is going to go--and if you shoot 50 yards or longer it is definitely worth the $$ (again, IMO).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen:

Thanks for all the insight, I do appreciate it!

Wit - What cosmetic modifications are you having done and what are your reasons for going to the two one?

I'm still undecided between the Bead Blasted Hard Chrome, Complete Gun and the Blued finish. Both have pros & cons. I'm reluctant to order the BB H-Chrome without seeing one first. Additional comments (regarding finish & checkered vs. flat serrated mainspring housing) welcome, thank you.

Bird

· Registered
529 Posts
Bird, I've always been in love the look of the two tone gun, blue/black slide and chrome frame. This started when I was very much younger. In my opinion, no other 2 tone gun is more attractive than 1911.

My cosmetic mods are just checkering underneath the trigger guard, serrating the top (& back, maybe) of the slide. Without the top serration, my gun looks very bald. Right now I have Ed Brown wedge MSH on it. It helps a little bit to secure and place my hand a little bit higher on the frame. Another alternative if you have a small to medium hand like mine. HTH.

· Registered
24 Posts
Wit, which way you think your going blue slide or bear coat? if thats what you meant by black? i have the premier 2 w/1.5gur. not happy with the blue wearing, cant decide to go hc, 2tone like you or full bear- coat?

· Registered
529 Posts
Deafdog, I also experience the same problem on my PII. The blue finish wears out very easily, just a couple of holstering in and out, it already shows bear metal. I have another Bear that has armortuff slide and chrome frame (by wilson) and it holds its finish much better.

Right now, I'm having my eye on Bear coat (slide.) I plan to send it back to Baer and get everything done at the same time. Including the mods, it will set me back about 5 large bills. And, it'll be a few months before I have some money to spare. HTH and thanks for your interests.

· Registered
36 Posts
If you're not familiar with Baer Coat, you might ask about its appearance. The old Baer coat was slick and almost shiny, like a high polish blue. I believe the new finish is a flat, dull black matte finish, which almost looks like parkerizing. I haven't seen a complete gun in the new finish, but have seen some replacement parts and they now look as described above. I guess some will like one and some the other.

I haven't noticed Baer's bluing wearing any worse, or better, than anybody else's bluing.

[This message has been edited by TEX'N (edited 06-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by TEX'N (edited 06-27-2001).]

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've narrowed down my two finish choices to either Bead Blasted Hard Chrome (Complete Gun) or Blued w/ Bear Coat finish (Complete Gun).

Is the Bear Coat at $290 comparable to the hard chrome at $200? I understand that the Bear Coat is a DuPont Teflon-s coating. Does it wear off like bluing? Can one detect if it wears? Pros/Cons.

Comments please. Thank you.

Bird

· Registered
17 Posts
Bird, I bought a Premier II a couple of months ago. I got the brushed hard chrome finish and the 1 1/2 in guarantee. I hadn't seen any Baer pistols before and wasn't sure what it would look like. Although I prefer a blued finish, I'm very pleased with the look of the hard chrome(looks very much like stainless).I don't know if the 1 1/2 in. guarantee is worth $295 but the gun is very accurate. I just saw a Thunder Ranch gun however, and I'm thinking of trading or selling my PII to get one. The TRS feels even better in my hands. Good Luck. You can't go wrong with a Les Baer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.